Watch EK soccer 2008 @work live true your mediaportaltvserver setup (1 Viewer)

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since people @work where already worried that soccer events this year will be during the day.. @work hours..
    it got me thinking.. and doing..

I managed to live transcode the timeshift stream (connecting to tvserver).. and publishing it .. with windows media encoder x64 at around 800kbps.. (resolution 960x540) so (at least in the netherlands).. everyone has at least 1024 kbps upload speed home.. .. you are able (firewalls permitting).. to watch the timeshift stream from your home mediaportal AT WORK .. ( I am not responsible if you get fired :D ) ..

this was actually an HDTV stream transcoded from 1920x1080 to 960x540..
    Wil be easier for normal dutch channels (720x576) to transcode.. even less kbps can be used..
    or transcode it to a windows mobile internet equipped cellphone format at around 128kbps .. (smallscreen)
    there are endless posibilities..

Also you can publish your timeshift to a colocated windows media services equipped machine.. and let all your friends watch it also ..

would there be intrest for something like this..
    and more important.. are some developers intrested to spend time on this with me..
    Since I do know a lot about video stuff, windows server and client OS .. but not really the internals of mediaportal ..

Transcoded Hdtv material will look something like this.. the only difference is that you will be using MMS://yourhome.connection.provider.nl:portnumberyouchoose

This is an example how it actually looks live:
    deleted

scatty

July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I just saw this topic, because i was searching for such a feature! I played earlier already a bit with these possibilities. I had earlier vdr (linux based) and used vlc to take a networkstream and transcode it in live time for you.

Because im new in mediaportal (startet a week ago) i dont know if its possible to get the stream from tvserver, but i think there should be sth. possible.

So hope you will stay on to that and i might be able to help you... :)
    Nothing is better to sit somewhere abroad in a hotel and watch a nice tv movie from home :)

bye,
    Jan

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

I just saw this topic, because i was searching for such a feature! I played earlier already a bit with these possibilities. I had earlier vdr (linux based) and used vlc to take a networkstream and transcode it in live time for you.

Because im new in mediaportal (startet a week ago) i dont know if its possible to get the stream from tvserver, but i think there should be sth. possible.

So hope you will stay on to that and i might be able to help you... :)
    Nothing is better to sit somewhere abroad in a hotel and watch a nice tv movie from home :)

bye,
    Jan

THe videopart is not really a problem .
    I guess if you want this to run properly and have some form of control of what you will be watching there must be something like a webinterface which makes it possible to change channels. (now I use RDP to the server and change the channel :D when I am at a remote location)
    However.. When I switch from a normal channel to a HD channel or vice versa.. I actually need some other decoding options ...
    I am messing with the media encoder SDK now to see if there is something that can be made ..

It still has to run on a seperate machine for the moment, it uses approx 40-50 cpu power(hd content) on a quadcore q6600 .. and 30% on non HD channels.

Will have a look on avisynth aswell and see if I can make a script for that.. it should use less cpu power then billies media encoder..

scatty

July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey,

I dont have any experience with HDTV so far, but...
    I think you are right with the web interface. maybe we the is a possibility to combine it with this project.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/development-91/self-contained-web-server-interface-27320/

Which then could have commands to change the channel and start timeshift, etc. like this:
    TV-Server Development/TV-Server devexample2 - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation

and recode it with windows media encoder or vlc via comands like this:
    Chapter 5.  VLM - Multiple streaming and Video on demand

Videolan manager has also the possibility to convert to several codecs. so my dual core neded for SDTV not even 30 % for a nice stream depending on the codec.

but i also had a look for the windows media encoder which looks quite nice, but which is non free software :(

bye,
    Jan

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey,

I dont have any experience with HDTV so far, but...
    I think you are right with the web interface. maybe we the is a possibility to combine it with this project.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/development-91/self-contained-web-server-interface-27320/

Which then could have commands to change the channel and start timeshift, etc. like this:
    TV-Server Development/TV-Server devexample2 - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation

and recode it with windows media encoder or vlc via comands like this:
    Chapter*5.* VLM - Multiple streaming and Video on demand

Videolan manager has also the possibility to convert to several codecs. so my dual core neded for SDTV not even 30 % for a nice stream depending on the codec.

but i also had a look for the windows media encoder which looks quite nice, but which is non free software :(

bye,
    Jan
    Jan,

THanks for your reply.

First of all , windows media encoder is free!
    But it to much hassle for anyone else to use it easily..

I actually got it running using Citrix Presentation Server 4.0 combined with MPTV client

Which runs at max 30 fps .. but nevertheless.. I can watch anywhere I want.. But Citrix is not free so no general solution yet..

I will have a look at the suggested links and see if anything can be usefull, I still think that there must be an easier solution for all this.. but cant get my head around it yet.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom