Web Config / Ideas for the future (1 Viewer)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
With the evolution of MP setup underway (http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8458) I would love to see the existing configuration screen be turned into a web accessable configuration.

I know this is a long way into the future, and perhaps not even the way MP will end up developing, however I think it still warrants some consideration.

Currently, Beyond TV by Snapstream runs it's recording engine, program scheduling and web server as background services. The advantage of this, is that if you make configuration changes to the actual interface of BTV, you don't have to end or interrupt any current recordings that are going on as it's only the GUI that needs to be restarted and not the entire program.

Another advantage of this is that you can load up the configuration via either the GUI or via Web Interface to make changes and/or add/remove recording events. (If a restart is necessary, you won't lose any in progress recordings).

My biggest beefs right now with MP are as follows:

-Configuration changes mean restarting the whole application
-No real web interface to manage MP settings/recordings
-No live TV streaming

That's it......there really isn't much that I would like to see changed about MP.

Now I understand making such changes are easier to do on paper then in the real world. I also think however that there should be a clearly laid out long-range plan so that everyone has a sense of direction and any changes to MP won't require rewriting portions of code.

With that in mind, I wish I had some programming skills as perhaps then I might have a better understanding of how MP works, and be able to visualize/verbalize what I'm trying to get across, hoping that it's being conveyed properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom