[Configuration] Web Interface Configuration (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Devs,

Started on: 20011-08-26
    last update: 2011-08-26
    Summary:

Many users use some form of remote desktop to configure their MP clents and server using the normal configuration programmes, however, this can be an awkward way of working. I was wondering if it might be possible to create a web based configuration tool for MP (covering both the client and server) so that users can change configuration settings from the web browser on a non-MP computer on the network.

Area:
    Configuration

Description:

If developed, I envisage the system working as follows:

The "web configuration service" is a seperate part of MP server and client (since it must be possible to change the configuration whilst MP is not running). Each server/client on the network can be accessed individually by their differing IP address, if both the client and server exist on the same PC then there it must be possible to access either configuration area.

The "web configuration service" should be installed as part of MP basic installation and can be turned on/off from within the normal configuration programme (but there is no reason why this can't be developed as a completely seperate plugin).

The user should have access to all the normal configuration options for MP within the "web configuration service" as well as some additional features such as - "Restart MP Client Software" and "Restart TVServer", which will allow the user to test the changes made.

Plugin developers would be able to write addons for the web configuration service to allow their plugins to be configured using this method (to be honest, it is plugins like Moving Pictures, TV Series, Streamed MP (skin), etc that this would be most useful for (on top of the obvious advantages of Tuning TV channels etc).

What do you think - too complicated???

Robbo100

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I would imagine its possible for MePo/TVserver, but the issue is the plugins.

Making them web-enabled would be another story and would need to be done by the plugin dev.

Might be worth posting in the MP2 forum? (defo wouldnt happen for MePo1)

J.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    What do you think - too complicated???
    Yes!

:D fair enough.

Might be worth posting in the MP2 forum? (defo wouldnt happen for MePo1)

Jay, should I do that, or would one of the Devs move the post across (I don't want to break forum rules and double post)?

Also, I suppose there is no reason why an individual plugin dev couldn't do this seperately from the main MP dev work, I might suggest it in a few of thier individual threads.

Thanks

Robbo100

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    robbo100: I thought the TV4Home plugin was considering some of this for their project? Just from the top of my mind.

Additionally you will not break forum rules as you pose 2 different questions: 1. Have this for MP1 and 2. Build this for MP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom