WebTV - Internet TV for MP. (1 Viewer)

X

xenon2000

I did a search for internet browsing and WebTV and such here at this forum. And came up with basically only 1 unanswered thread relating to text size.

MP isn't the only one lacking any real WebTV feature, seems most HTPC apps don't really have it.

I am shocked because it's a whole computer sitting at the TV and often users of HTPC's have keyboards and/or pointing devices, and most have them networked for TVguide, weather, picture/video/music shares, etc. So it seems only natural that WebTV with email, etc, would be in the list of TV PC's features.

I also can't be the only one. I have plenty of other computers on the net, so it's not like I HAVE to have internet at the TV, but like all the other features, it would sure be cool.

I am still searching, but I would like to try and help this feature along if I can. Hopefully others are as interested in this feature as well and will voice themselves too.

Other than lack of WebTV (which appears to be common with TV PC apps), MP rocks. Can't wait to see more progress with this Open Source project. Which is one of the main reasons I have chosen MP. Great job people.

A

Anonymous

Xenon:

I'm a little confused as to what you are asking for. Are you looking for functionality similiar to Microsoft's WebTV where you can surf the internet and check e-mail via an HTPC?

If that's the case, this is already part of MP. There is a mail plugin and you can also configure MP to launch your favorite browser (IE or Firefox) to surf. The mail plugin is documented in the wiki pages (I think) and I beleive there is some discussion somewhere on how to launch your browser from within MP. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

If that isn't what you are asking for, give us a little more information.

Cheers!

X

xenon2000

EvilDreamer said:
Xenon:

I'm a little confused as to what you are asking for. Are you looking for functionality similiar to Microsoft's WebTV where you can surf the internet and check e-mail via an HTPC?

If that's the case, this is already part of MP. There is a mail plugin and you can also configure MP to launch your favorite browser (IE or Firefox) to surf. The mail plugin is documented in the wiki pages (I think) and I beleive there is some discussion somewhere on how to launch your browser from within MP. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

If that isn't what you are asking for, give us a little more information.

Cheers!

That sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I guess I was hoping for a "My WebTV" button or something. I didn't even think of an email plugin. I will look into that. Mainly looking for a simple way to add a button to go straight to IE in kiosk mode. (F11). I will check out the wiki and hopefully figure it out. Thanks again.

T

tfurr0ws

WebTV vs. browser launcher

Personally I think a WebTV plugin would be much better than a simple browser launch button. For starters, getting a standard browser configured to work right at a 10ft interface level is not the easiest task (of course, this is a problem with general website design often times). I have found Mozilla firefox to handle text size/font control the best, while Avant and Opera seem to handle overall zooming better (buck lack excellent font control).

With a webTV plugin the goal and purpose would be a browser specifically modified for a 10ft TV based interface in mind. The skin and navigation would maintain the MP feel and experience and would contribute to the purpose as well.

So in short, a browser launch solves the problem, but a plugin solves the problem with style...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom