WEWS-HD OTA problem (1 Viewer)

kimnach

Portal Member
March 18, 2008
Hinckley, OH
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Googling to no avail about the transmission status, Has anyone else lost the OTA broadcast of WEWS (Cleveland, OH area) in the past couple of days? All my other ATSC signals come in and can be viewed, but WEWS-HD has been a "no signal detected" for the past couple of days. I've rescanned, but it is not found. I can verify that I last received a signal sunday night (30 Sept 2012).

kimnach

Portal Member
March 18, 2008
Hinckley, OH
Home Country
thanks for the info; however, unless i've missed something, that site gives all sorts of tech info--just not whether or not it is currently transmitting.

as a follow-up: there was no signal friday nor saturday. sunday morning, i tried a few more times to tune in (and scanned the frequencies with mepo and with npvr), and it happened to work finally. sunday night it was fine when i recorded a couple of shows. i just checked (monday night), and it again cannot get a signal from wews-hd. the other nine atsc stations are coming in. most perplexing.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    I'm not in that area either. In my SF Bay area location, the over the air signals have a real "cliff edge", when the signal is above the threshold you get a good picture, if its at the edge I get bad breakups in the signal. It seems like I have more problems in the spring/fall.

The www.tvfool.com webpage is a good place for ATSC signal info. If you put in your zipcode you can see the direction/distance to the TV stations in your area. With zip=44233 for Hinkley it shows WEWS is about 9 miles away and should have a strong signal. Maybe you are getting a signal overload? If you are in a hilly area tvfool.com gives better info if you put in your exact address.

www.avsforum.com also has a forum section for "local HDTV". maybe they have some info that can help
    http://www.avsforum.com/f/45/local-hdtv-info-and-reception

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I also forgot about the tropospheric propagation effect (mostly present in summer). I will be saying goodbye myself to a trio of transmissions on the same channel which only show up in the summer. Perhaps you are witnessing something similar?

kimnach

Portal Member
    March 18, 2008
    Hinckley, OH
    Home Country
    Thanks to both of you for the info. (Ron, thanks for the avsforums link: I haven't frequented that site in quite a while.)

I would have thought a hardware issue, but it occurs with all three tuners (the one HVR-1600 and both HVR-2250).

I should also mention that this is a first in the two+ years or so of receiving ATSC that this has happened.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    K,

if you watch WEWS on a normal TV do you see any signal problems? does the TV signal strength show any signs of trouble? You may need to check when MePo is showing problems. I also have a HVR-2250 and you could download and run the signal strength tool for the tuner card.

If I tune 1 of my weaker stations I see SNR 15.5, 10 to 200+ correctable errors with an ok picture. Other times the station will drop below the threshold, the tuner looses lock and I see a bad picture with a lot of "breakup". At other times of the day I can't receive this station at all. This station is about 70 miles away and tvfool shows this as 1 of the weakest signal I might be able to receive.

kimnach

Portal Member
    March 18, 2008
    Hinckley, OH
    Home Country
    ok, i'm in th middle of trying to get this problem solved. I've been having hit-or-miss success with MePo and NPVR tonight. A brief rundown of the last hour or so:

I tried WEWS with no luck so i ran the antenna feed over to my boys' tv with a coax i quickly crimped. That TV showed a nice clear pic or WEWS-HD. Okay, so I reconnected to my htpc without luck. All ATSC channels other than WEWS-HD displayed. WEWS-HD: "no signal." Hmm.....I recall at one time having issues with a splitter impedance. Perhaps it's notching out this band. So I disconnected the splitter and tried by feeding directly into the HVR-1600 and then the 2250. Same old.

Ran a scan with each card indivdually, Neither detected this one channel. So I then unistalled (via Device Manager) the hardware and drivers, rebooted, and then re-installed the latest drivers. Scan. Nope. However, the channels were still mapped in the TV Server Config from previously: I previewed the channels and every channel showed an SNR=30 with Hauppauge's Signal Monitor. WEWS-HD unfortunately displayed an SNR=0 and no Errors (correctable or non-), but the picture was clear in the small window. Start MePO: it wouldn't display WEWS-HD, but every other channel worked. Exit and then use the TV Service Config to preview again, and SNR=0 but it displays. Truly odd.

So, it seems that the signal is very much attenuated on this band, but why remains a mystery. My home-brew bowtie antenna, which since making it has been located in the attic, is aimed toward the primay channels of interest (including WEWS-HD). too tired to continue.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    WEWS-HD unfortunately displayed an SNR=0 and no Errors (correctable or non-), but the picture was clear in the small window.
    So to be clear, this is with the "preview" function in TV Server configuration, right?

Start MePO: it wouldn't display WEWS-HD, but every other channel worked. Exit and then use the TV Service Config to preview again, and SNR=0 but it displays. Truly odd.
    So preview in TV Server configuration is working but normal timeshifting in MP is not - have I got that right?
    Is this behaviour consistent? One would suspect that if you have signal issues then the channel would sometimes work and sometimes not in both MP and preview.

If you want my help I would suggest that you post your TV Server log files...
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory".
    3. Zip up the files you find there and attach the zip file here.

One of the first things I'll be checking is whether there are any other channels available in the same transport stream/frequency/mux/transponder. If there are, I'd expect you to have similar issues with them...

mm

paulmac

October 10, 2016
    Home Country
    I am having the same signal outage for WEWS this weekend. It worked fine on Friday, out all weekend, and back with very weak signal today. I have been watching this via my HDTV antenna for several months without problems until this weekend. Anyone know what changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom