[NVIDIA] What card? (2 Viewers)

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't see in this topic where you want to use it for.. Is it also to playing games? Otherwise the Intel HD4000 would get the job done fine.. Really fast enough for Mediaportal including playing HD movies, etc..

Also for gaming at medium settings it would be fine..

I like to know:

-Where do you want to use the (HT)PC for exactly?
    -What other hardware will you use?
    -Wich price?
    -Must it be really silent as it is for a HTPC?

Personally I'm using an ASUS HD5770, 1GB with an i3 2100 and 8GB RAM.. This is fast snough for me to play the newest games on my tv. By example; Crysis 2 can play really fine on 1280 X 720 with all settings on max..

EDIT: Read your post again and I see you didn't want to game with the system right? Then I really don't know why you should buy a videocard at all..

EDIT 2: I have really no problems with LAV at all! :)

Last edited:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

The HD4000 should be good enough, why not try it.... its not costing you anything.... if you do decide to switch over to MadVR or or high demanding settings, then get a discrete card.

J

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I just got a GeForce 610 from Asus, with passive cooling, and so far (got it a couple of days ago) it seems fine. Doesn't run too hot, obviously silent, and so far I have seen no glitches running full HD. I haven't turned on hardware acceleration yet.

Mark

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    The thing that drives me mad is bad de-interlacing and as 85% of HTPC use is interlaced TV this is important to me :)

The HQV tests seem to suggest text overlay on video is not 100%
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5773/intels-ivy-bridge-an-htpc-perspective/3
    but the ATI 7750 has the chroma upscale issue
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/amd-radeon-hd-7750-radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition-review/6

Struggling to find single slot cards though so HD 4000 might be the way to go for now...

I have an i3 2100T in the bedroom HTPC which comes with a HD 2000 and PQ is ok but not great but not found much factual info about how much better the HD 4000 is

wijnand

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Videocard upgrade here:
    I just update my HTPC with a Nvidia GT220. Low cost, low energy consumption and pretty good de-interlacing of our satellite TV.
    Maybe i'll upgrade later to an GTX650, but this one does the job quite well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom