what codecs are best (1 Viewer)

talcbaby

Portal Pro
June 15, 2011
Home Country
Wales Wales
Hey folks. i was just wondering what you guys think is the best MKV codec package to use when watching 720 and 1080 films. im currently using shark 007. i find this good on most films. but not on some. If any of you have read my previous posts, some of my films work on Zoomplayer, but not through MP using shark 007. Is this a codec problem or something else.
Great to have any suggestions. cheers

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: what codecs are best

I did not install anything except LAVF and use this for videos, MS codecs for tv.

Best solution for me so far.

You could use graphstudio to check filters being used by Mepo and by Zoomplalyer. I´d bet there is a difference.

Im2bz2p345

Portal Member
    November 23, 2011
    Hello talcbaby,

I have tried a BUNCH of different codec packs (including shark007, CCCP [Combined Community Codec Pack], K-Lite Codec Pack, etc.).

There is absolutely NOTHING out there that compares to SAF (Stand Alone Filters): https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-331/saf-v6-based-lavf-95635/

It's based on LAVF and comes with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC) which is extremely stable. You don't need to install any other video player! It also installs only the codecs/filters that you'll need to play literally anything you can through at it. The installation is very straightforward & takes less than one minute. There is no need to install a bunch of other crap that you'll never need/use (which can cause conflicts later on) like most other codec packs install for you.

You'll need to uninstall ALL other codecs on your machine if you choose to install SAF.

On top of it all, hoborg is very active here and is available for you to ask any questions! He's an extremely friendly and knowledgeable guy.

Hope you give SAF6 a chance, you won't regret it.

~ Im2bz2p345 :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nope, talking minimal, using M$ codec for video and LAV for audio, throughout the codec settings, then the LAV video codec will just pickup the formats that M$ codec cannot handle.

LAV will work with all versions of windows.

lightman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    wich codec setup do you have in MePo?

ramyad

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    After trying SAF V6, I scrapped it and went to LAV only (audio and video) in MePo. ffdshow was crashing MePo when trying to access the 720P feed from bbc iplayer. Had to uninstall SAF V6 and only install LAV to get everything to work in MePo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom