What do I do..decisions, decisions...??? (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I'm a bit out of touch with hardware so I'm looking for a bit of advice on what I want to achieve, and what to do with some existing kit I have. :rolleyes:

I currently run two Zotac ZBox clients from the HTPC in the living room. The set up runs well and is very stable. (The spec for this is on my sig' )

I am shortly going to put a Gigabit network in place so I can get a speed increase from the EOP sockets I currently use. This will mean I can build a stand alone server in my basement.

Also, I have a standalone Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) that I use for writing music. This is now about 10 years old and comprises a Gigabyte 7VA-XP Mobo, 3Gb RAM, AMD Athlon XP2600 2.1Ghz, nVidia Quadro 4 980XGL, Echo Darla 2in + 8out soundcard, along with twin monitors etc, etc. This is not networked or connected to the Internet. The case for this is huge and could easily house the proposed server and associated HDD's.

I need to put together a server that can house 4 existing disc drives in the current HTPC, plus another 4 for back up (non-raid). This also needs to have enough RAM for timeshifting. I would also like to upgrade the current DAW and have it linked to the server, although it does work satisfactorily as it is.

Is there any point in trying to use parts of the current DAW?
    What is best for a server - how powerful does it have to be?
    Should I use parts of the main HTPC in the lounge for the server, or replacement DAW, and put something else in the Antec case?

I would like to put together a plan of action.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom