What DVB-T HD card for New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Sicox

Portal Member
May 19, 2005
New Zealand
I have trolled through the forums but have not been able to find any definative results on what TV card to run in New Zealand.
I know there are many DVB-T cards but am not sure about the ones that give HD...

Please can you offer advice...

Cheers...:)

Nato

Portal Pro
April 18, 2006
Christchurch
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I have a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 (dual tuner) it works perfectly and am able to record 1 channel while watching another. I also have a Hauppauge pvr 150 (analogue) which is set to be used solely for Prime.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have an HVR2200 works well. If the tuner has "DVB-T" then it will be compatible with Freeview HD terrestial signal.

Make sure the card has analog hardware encoding (most new ones should have this) ie don't get one with software MPEG2 encoding.

HVR1100 is cheap $99 @ Dick Smith electronics, it should be ok for digital, but not good for analog (no hardware analog mpeg2 encoder)

HVR2200 has dual hybrid tuner. Eg. 2x Digital HD Tuners or 1x Digital + 1x Analog or 2x Analog Tuners. It uses a PCI-E slot.

HVR3000 is similar to HVR220 But uses PCI slot and comes with a remote control. it can do analog & dvb-t & dvb-s (sattelite)

EDIT: Corrected error decoding -> encoding

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Make sure the card has analog hardware decoding (most new ones should have this) ie don't get one with software MPEG2 decoding.

I think you mean:

"Make sure the card has analog hardware encoding (most new ones should have this) ie don't get one with software MPEG2 encoding."

(the decoding is done by software (+DXVA) codecs in Windows for all sources - analogTV, digitalTV & video playback etc).

Tony

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Now that Prime TV is gone to DVB-T, there is not a lot of point getting an analog card, so if you want to save a bit of money and just have DVB-T the HVR1100 is probably ok.

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 (dual tuner) it works perfectly and am able to record 1 channel while watching another. I also have a Hauppauge pvr 150 (analogue) which is set to be used solely for Prime.

bit of a dredge sorry, but I'm interested to see if the t 500 is still okay.
    I tried to source one from ascent and they say they're unavailable.
    the email said:
    ascent said:
    Supplier has just heard back from Hauppauge advising that there is an issue with the H.264 video format when streaming in NZ so they will not be able to supply stock to NZ until they have fixed this issue.

I've just gotten one of those cheapie ebay USB ones. worked okay on my win7 netbook (small screen) but on my xp mediaportal the video is about a minute behind the audio. not sure if that's an OS issue, a screen issue or another issue I can't think of.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi rocklander

What happened with your Winfast DTV 2000 DS? (link)

the email said:
    ascent said:
    Supplier has just heard back from Hauppauge advising that there is an issue with the H.264 video format when streaming in NZ so they will not be able to supply stock to NZ until they have fixed this issue.
    Hmmm, tuners are video encoding agnostic, so unless they mean there is a problem with the transport stream structure used for Freeview HD (which is very unlikely since transport streams are highly standardised and many people use Nova T tuners to get Freeview HD) or they're talking about the bundled WinTV software then I think they might be telling you porkies.

I've just gotten one of those cheapie ebay USB ones. worked okay on my win7 netbook (small screen) but on my xp mediaportal the video is about a minute behind the audio. not sure if that's an OS issue, a screen issue or another issue I can't think of.
    For Freeview HD? Possibly a codec issue. W7 comes with codecs that allow you to offload the video decoding on the GPU. The same is not true for XP. Post some logs if you want some help. :)

mm

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi rocklander

What happened with your Winfast DTV 2000 DS? (link)

ha! you're on the ball aren't ya?
    I ordered the $10 jobbie on a whim whilst I was waiting for the nova to turn up from ascent. when ascent said the nova was unavailable for the forseeable I then bought the DVT.. the ebay via china one arrived today, but delivery on the DVT from sydney is taking a while :mad:

For Freeview HD? Possibly a codec issue. W7 comes with codecs that allow you to offload the video decoding on the GPU. The same is not true for XP. Post some logs if you want some help. :)

mm

that makes sense (and fills me with hope for the USB unit).

I've got my old original mp server that I first built up, so will chuck the DVT into that on XP to do the testing and give you some logs.. my plan has always been to migrate to win7, but I also wanna help out here with anything I can (got no programming kung fu, so if I can help in some way by providing info/logs in the pursuit of more happy mp users then I will do).
    so I can upgrade my primary MP to 7 and do the testing on the XP box.. TMI?:D

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    dredging my own dredge!.. how's that for bad form?

the details of successes with the DVT card have been chronicled here in the other thread and I'm happy with it, however I'm now faced with another upgrade..

new (to me, but still not a ferrari) MP computer at home which is an improvement on the current machine I have and it has a new mobo. new mobo has only one PCI slot, 2X PCIe x1 and 1X PCIe 16x. so.. I can chuck one of the DVT cards into this thing, but need a PCIE recommendation.

sources for the avermedia twinstar are dried up here in godzone at the moment, but for some reason I'm drawn to it (always want what you can't get?).. the other option is the hauppauge HVR-2210 (or 2200).. I don't really mind which I get and am happy to wait till stick comes in, but is one better in NZ than the other.

so.. the big face off.. Hauppauge HVR-2210 VS avermedia twinstar.. which one and why say you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom