What ever happened to the My torrents plug-in? (1 Viewer)

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I did a search for torrent, to look for a torrent plugin. I found a post from Smirnuff saying he was going to start coding a "my Torrents" plugin? This was almost a year ago... Did anything ever come of this? I was looking over at meedio's website, and they have a pretty cool plugin for this.... I think this would be a sweet plugin for people who for whatever reason forget to record a show... or miss and episode of something and would like to see it. The plugin uses a 3rd party torrent client and I am suggesting azureus.

Anyone can check it out HERE

As always.... looking for feedback!

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Was it really a year ago? Wow time has really flown...

At that time I had the scraping code already to go for suprnova.org but when they shut their doors I lost interest :|.

My plans were that it would only be a search feature and that it would delegate the download to a torrent client of the users choice but this didn't work well with my choice of client (BitComent @ the time and it would prompt you for confirmation before a download would begin so it wasn't a viable option).

Also I tried contacting a few client developers and asked them to provide interfaces to query the status of downloads but none was interested at the time. Without being able to show download progress in MP I felt that the value of the plugin just wasn't there.

I've since played around a bit with an open source .NET client library but it is far too unstable ATM.

Perhaps in 2008 when I'm done with everything I'm supposed to be doing for MP.

Cheers,
    Smirnuff.

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    Smirnuff said:
    Was it really a year ago? Wow time has really flown...

At that time I had the scraping code already to go for suprnova.org but when they shut their doors I lost interest :|.

My plans were that it would only be a search feature and that it would delegate the download to a torrent client of the users choice but this didn't work well with my choice of client (BitComent @ the time and it would prompt you for confirmation before a download would begin so it wasn't a viable option).

Also I tried contacting a few client developers and asked them to provide interfaces to query the status of downloads but none was interested at the time. Without being able to show download progress in MP I felt that the value of the plugin just wasn't there.

I've since played around a bit with an open source .NET client library but it is far too unstable ATM.

Perhaps in 2008 when I'm done with everything I'm supposed to be doing for MP.

Cheers,
    Smirnuff.

You could always use the web browser plugin to visit your favorite torrent site.

I had some of ideas of displaying azureus downloads through a plugin. I have lots on the go already though.

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    devo said:
    You could always use the web browser plugin to visit your favorite torrent site.

I had some of ideas of displaying azureus downloads through a plugin. I have lots on the go already though.

Your right about the browser plugin but something that shows azureus downloads would be greate thats a good idea :)

R / tk

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I PM the guy who wrote the Meetorrents plugin... this is what he had to say.

"To get it working in Meda Portal all the Meedio related stuff must be replaced, except for that I suppose it is not a problem, but I have no idea about how MP does stuff. And the code is too ugly to release the source."

I am thinking if we could get around the "ugly" part... and ask him for the code... someone who would like to pick this up.. could.

From what tkortell said.... this plugin should be able to display what azureus is downloading at the moment. Even if the plugin got to that state.... that would be cool....

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

I dunno if Devo's web browser plugin handles Java applets (or to put it better if the Mozilla ActiveX control does)? If so, you could install the web interface for Azureus and connect to the web interface via MP's web browser. :)

Kind regards,
    Michel

barranger

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    I've started working on a My Torrents plugin for Media Portal. I'm hoping to have some screenshots of the status screen on my blog by the end of the weekend.

Thanks,
    Barranger

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    scoop said:
    Hi,

I dunno if Devo's web browser plugin handles Java applets (or to put it better if the Mozilla ActiveX control does)? If so, you could install the web interface for Azureus and connect to the web interface via MP's web browser. :)

Kind regards,
    Michel

My early on ideas were to use Azuereus's built in functionality to export xml of the torents status. Then read this into MP.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I know there is a guy over in the meedio forums that has a plugin like this. I am wondering if he could give you any info on this. I think he said it would port over... because the backend is all seperate. But someone would need to rip out the meedio stuff and put in media portal stuff.. Here is what he said:

"To get it working in Meda Portal all the Meedio related stuff must be replaced, except for that I suppose it is not a problem, but I have no idea about how MP does stuff. And the code is too ugly to release the source"

He goes by Kosh over in the meedio forums... and if you look under plugins you can check out his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom