Forum What I love about our new forum - Conversations and alerts! (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I've read a lot of posts about this or that forum feature, how to get things to work in our new forum (and try to make it exactly like the old forum) but I think now we have all got our feet wet it might be nice to post some threads about what is great about our new forum, and tips on how to use the new features to your advantage.

So here are my favorite two new features:

Conversations
    I love the ability to have 'group' PMs. IRC is always tricky for me with my crappy Internet, and with constant disconnects I often end up missing replies/posts. Besides with users from around the world, it is not always easy to get everyone online at the same time. So Conversations have really helped fill a gap for me when planning or discussing Docs Group or other project features or support issues with testers.

What I love especially is that I don't need a separate Conversation for every reply like I did with Private messages. That makes it so much easier to keep track of a discussion, and no need to continually quote the previous message/post.

The added advantage of uploading files/images (awarded to specific user groups) saves me time uploading them elsewhere and linking to the Conversation!

Alerts
    I used to wake up every day to 50-100 emails about MP. Now I changed all my Alerts to Notification without email, so when I am ready to deal with MP issues, I just check my alerts. This has saved me hours, and reduced my 'stress' dramatically! I especially love the notifications when someone likes a post, adds an new attachment, or mentions me in a post!

I really love the 'Watch Forum' add-on and tend to use it now more than 'Watch Thread'. I know many people use the Live and New posts features, but I just don't seem to be regular enough to catch everything that way!

I don't think I am using the 'Follow user' feature to its full advantage yet, but I love getting informed when someone is following me! (are they nuts?)

So our new forum software has improved my productivity quite a lot. Since I 'donate' so much time to MP, that is worth a great deal to me!

HUGE THANKS to high, infinite.loop and all the Forum mods and team members who tested the new forum software so thoroughly! The transition was done with barely a hitch, which is a major accomplishment for such a massive undertaking.

If you have discovered any new forum features you love, or have some tips how to use them, why not post a thread like this and help others take advantage of what this new system can offer?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think "conversations" and "alerts" are the best features for me, they are very effective.

No one is stalking....sorry, I mean "Following" me yet, I feel a bit left out!

I am still getting used to the page layout, but if I am honest, I can't remember what the old layout used to look like anymore, so I can't be missing it that much.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You have a new stalker now!
    (Just click on User name below avatar, then select 'Follow')
    I tried to 'follow' myself, but I couldn't :p

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    The text when there are no conversations or alerts is white on pale blue - very difficult to read.
    Can this be changed?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Spud

Are you using Mediaportal default skin in the style chooser, as not seeing any white on light blue here with that.

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The text when there are no conversations or alerts is white on pale blue - very difficult to read.
    Can this be changed?

hi, yes, it will be fixed with a bigger style update during this week. ;)

Caleb

Portal Member
    January 14, 2012
    I also love the new forum. I was only familiar with vBulletin and IPB, but XenForo is much more fun! (Although it is a bit buggy with Opera)

gurken

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    the new alert function is really cool, hate to receive tons of mails from watched threads (but its necessary if i wont loose the thread) BUT i still receive mails from watched threads allthought i deactived it in my preferences -> options - do i need to deactive it somehwere else?

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the new alert function is really cool, hate to receive tons of mails from watched threads (but its necessary if i wont loose the thread) BUT i still receive mails from watched threads allthought i deactived it in my preferences -> options - do i need to deactive it somehwere else?
    this UserCP-option is just for new threads atm (hope it gets fixed in new XF-versions) but it's possible to change it for all watch threads on database-level. You should just get Alerts from now on.
    If anyone else want them converted to alerts...send me a Conversation please

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom