What is the current situation with PVR capabilities? (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I am not technically a newcomer to Mediaportal as I used to use it a long time ago.

However, I switched to using Raspberry Pi's for all my TVs and then switched over to Argus TV as the sole backend and have lost touch with Mediaportal.

The main reason I did the switch to Argus was that I found it to be slightly more stable and found the scheduling capabilities to be more comprehensive.

There is some recent discussion, on the Argus forum, about the lack of any program developments for some years and what the future holds for it.

I was just wondering what the current state of Mediaportal's TV Server was.

Thanks.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
That is really great to hear - do you think that Mediaportal 2 Server is a viable alternative to Argus TV?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    do you think that Mediaportal 2 Server is a viable alternative to Argus TV?
    That's an impossible question unless you specify your needs.
    I suspect the only way to know would be to try it. What have you got to lose.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    I suppose my main query is how Mediaportal's scheduling intelligence compares to Argus, For instance, if I had single tuner and scheduled two programs to record at the same time, with one of the programs having a later repeat, is Mediaportal able to work out that it should record the program that has no repeat first, to minimise the chance of lost recordings as a result of potential clashes?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For instance, if I had single tuner and scheduled two programs to record at the same time, with one of the programs having a later repeat, is Mediaportal able to work out that it should record the program that has no repeat first, to minimise the chance of lost recordings as a result of potential clashes?
    No.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks you.

No problem - as you said, I have nothing to lose by giving it a whirl.

Just out of interest, how does Mediaportal deal with scheduling? Does it just record the next available instance of each show as requested by the user?

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for that - much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom