What is the preferred method for ripping TV Episodes from DVD for use with TVSeries? (1 Viewer)

GDusty

Portal Member
September 22, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just curious, but these days, why encode to Xvid? I would have thought that h264 would be the standard codec to use. The only advantage to Xvid is maybe it is faster to encode?

Not a criticism, just wondering.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just curious, but these days, why encode to Xvid? I would have thought that h264 would be the standard codec to use. The only advantage to Xvid is maybe it is faster to encode?

Not a criticism, just wondering.

Honestly... It's mostly because I'm kind of stodgy and stuck in my ways.

I haven't played with .h264 very much yet. I recently got the QAM channels on my TV card working, but the HD ones still stutter/drop frames so I'm not 100% confident that I won't have similar issues with .h264 video files.

Also - you may be able to educate me on this since I don't know much about codecs - would an .h264 file be equally as compact as an Xvid file? As much as I'm interested in getting all my DVDs ripped so I can move them out of the living room and into the attic, I'm also interested in saving space on my HDDs so I can fit the entire collection without buying new hardware or adding drive noise.

jazbo8

Portal Member
    February 8, 2009
    Home Country
    China China
    Would you have the documentation?

I have used the script and programs here with good results. There is some work involved.

Regards

Cheekie Moonkie's guide has been offline for weeks, would you have a copy on your hard disk that you can share?

Thanks,
    Jaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom