What Media Center Software Do You Use? Lifehacker Poll (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So why is it that not many people use MP in the U.S?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I have been scouring the web for american forums which discuss HTPC software and I was hoping to port my AVForums guide across to them in an attempt to get a higher profile for MediaPortal.

The American equivalent of AVForums seems to be AVSForum, however this site has its own MP setup guide written by someone else - albeit this guide does not have instructions for configuring the TV Server and is a very top level guide. The impressive thing is though, is that this guide has had over half a million views!

I was temped to post my guide there, but I don't know how well it will go down as it may look like I am trying to unseat the existing guide (which is also quite old now).

Does anyone know any other sites I should be considering?

Robbo100

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    One main reason for small US user base could be the badly supported US tv. We haven't had that many devs to work (and the tv has not worked that good in US in the past - not sure if it does work now).

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    hmmmm. I suppose it is difficult to ever find out if no-one tries it :confused:. We have a MediaPortal Paradox!

I have posted a question on AVSforum asking if they want me to port the guide across (I need to get 3 posts under my belt before their site will let me post URLs, so hopefully a quick thread asking if they want the guide should get me past the 3 post point).

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    One main reason for small US user base could be the badly supported US tv. We haven't had that many devs to work (and the tv has not worked that good in US in the past - not sure if it does work now).

I'm using OTA exclusively with the HDHomeRun (original), although I do pay for my EPG through Schedules Direct ($25.00 USD/yr). In the last 2 years, I have never had to reboot TV Server for a server error. With the new TSReader in 1.2.3 other issues that I do have (only occasionally) with MP's TV Client section should go away. The only time I have issues with MP crashing while playing TV is after extended use of streaming video in OnlineVideos. I figured it was just memory cleanup issues from the .flv filter (whatever that might be), as it doesn't only effect TV.

Chuck

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Chuck.

Would you be able to let me know how you configure your TV Server and EPG so that I could make an American guide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom