What sort of chassis would you prefer in a living room HTPC? (1 Viewer)

tesco

Portal Member
March 27, 2009
There is a large variety of shapes and forms when it comes to HTPCs, but what sort of shape and size would you want for a HTPC in your living room?

Something round:

Sony_VAIO_HTPC.jpg

Something small:

ripbn.jpg

Something that looks like reciever:

_X15E-HTPC-B.jpg

Something minimalistic:

hsa_upright.jpg

Or perhaps something in between or completely different?

I'm thinking of small boxes with external PSU and low power consumption not large ones like the Antec 430

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't really know what relevance this thread has, but anyway ... ;)

I have a Silverstone GD01-MX, which is a nice chassis but it is way to high.
    Something looking as noble but more unobtrusive (half the height) would be my choice.

Speaking in your examples: A mixture between receiver and minimalistic. Just haven't found a good case meeting those standards.

Malingo

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also like the "minimalistic receiver" style, with a half-height formfactor (drawback: only PCI cards with half height can be used).

The chassis I am using (Intertech Arris A1) comes close to what I want, it just could use a little more "sexiness" to its style and build quality.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    For me, the main thing is that it shouldn't look like a computer. It should blend into your room well and preferably be small. You don't want it too inobtrusive though; you still want friends to say "wow, that's a computer?" ;)

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Wow, HTVPC (Home Theater Vacuum PC)! It entertains while it does chores. I'm sure you'll find a market for it if you build it. :D

tesco

Portal Member
    March 27, 2009
    For me, the main thing is that it shouldn't look like a computer. It should blend into your room well and preferably be small. You don't want it too inobtrusive though; you still want friends to say "wow, that's a computer?" ;)

Yeah that's the direction I wanted to go aswell, it would be something insipired by the Sony. But not round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom