What's the deal with all this different versions? (1 Viewer)

Aros62

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hello!
    The first time I came in contact with MediaPortal I downloaded the version that was offered on the download page (version 1.2.3). After installation, I noticed that there was a beta version (1.3) but also another beta release, version 2 available.

For me as a newcomer this is a bit confusing and I would be grateful if anyone can tell me about these different development tracks. Why develop version 1.3 in parallel with version 2 and when will these versions be launched as stable versions?

Thanks,

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hello!
    The first time I came in contact with MediaPortal I downloaded the version that was offered on the download page (version 1.2.3). After installation, I noticed that there was a beta version (1.3) but also another beta release, version 2 available.

For me as a newcomer this is a bit confusing and I would be grateful if anyone can tell me about these different development tracks. Why develop version 1.3 in parallel with version 2 and when will these versions be launched as stable versions?

Thanks,

Hi,

In short, MediaPortal 2 is a completely rewritten product which isn't yet ready for production use. For MediaPortal 1 there is a stable version (1.2.3) and development version (1.3.0 Alpha/Beta..).

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    From what I understand Ver 1.2.3 is the only 'Stable' version. Version 1.3 is a beta of an upgrade to the 1.2.3 track and that the Version 2.0 is in fact a complete rebuild of MP from the ground up. The reasoning behind 1.3 is in response to some bug fixes found in 1.2.3 which most people are using while waiting for Version 2.0 to be ready.
    I personally am using Ver 1.2.3 and haven't had any issues with it. *Knock on wood*

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What they said ^^ ;)

Just to add, you can run MP2 on the same machine without interfering with your MP1 install, a lot of work has been done on MP2 since the original alpha release and we are hoping for some nice surprises in the not to distant future for our users.

Aros62

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    OK, thanks for clarifying.

Where can i find the latest MP 2 Build?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom