when playing video, can't access windows (1 Viewer)

SelArom

Portal Member
June 11, 2005
McAllen, TX
I wasn't sure how to explain my problem in the title so here's some more detail. For the longest time I was using 0.2.0.0 but now I've installed the latest rc1 and I love it! but there is a problem. when I was using the older version, I was able to use the pc for other tasks while a video was playing. for example, if my antivirus popped up a message, the window would appear in front of the currently playing video and I could use the mouse to dismiss it and go on with watching my movie.

but now, it seems that while a video is playing, nothing else can be drawn on the screen. If I press the windows key for example, the video flickers, and I can see that the start menu tries to appear, but then the video flickers and covers it up and all I can see is the movie. I can't even hit ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager, because it does the same thing: I see the outline, then the video flickers and covers it up. I have to stop the video, then I can access everything else.

So how can I get things back to how they were before, where I could be running both video and other windows at the same time? I'm using xp pro, the latest rc1 (without svns), and I'm using ffdshow to play the videos. I'm guessing that's where my problem but I don't know enough about video to fix it.

any help is greatly appreciated!

-SelArom

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Make sure sure in MP setup that "always on top" and possibly in the codecs section "use exclusive DX9 mode" are not selected.

These are the 2 main reasons for that problem.

If it still continues, we would need pc specifications and logs please.

Thanks

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    As above it is the 'exclusive' mode that is now available in the VMR9 section of the direct show filter control in the settings. Dissable this and all should be back to normal.

When enabled only the VIDEO should stop access to the desktop and not the GUI but there is a recent bug where the VMR renderer is not completly released by MP and even if the GUI is only showing (no video playback) exclusive mode isn't released and the desktop is unavailable.

SelArom

Portal Member
    June 11, 2005
    McAllen, TX
    thanks to both of you. I didn't see the option in the general settings, which is where I used to see it in the previous versions. I will look in the direct show filter setting area and report back later today.

thanks a bunch!

-SelArom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom