Where to put backdrops for custom, added movies? (1 Viewer)

dint10

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2010
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a large collection of Rock Concert DVDs which I have ripped to my NAS.

Some of them have entries in imdb and some of them do not. MovPics has no probs [obviously] with the ones it can find in imdb.

For the others - I have had to manually add them in movie manager. All fine.

Cple of questions tho - if I create backdrops for the concerts I added manually, where do I save them and do I need to follow a naming convention?

Also - maybe it's because MovPics found and added some by itself and I added the other manually but I now, oddly, have two 'music' entries under categories in the GUI.

How did that happen? Can I delete one of them?

Thanks a lot for a wonderful plug in.:D

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    For backdrops you have a few options. The easiest way would be to enable searching of the video folder for backdrop images. The default filename is backdrop.jpg but this can be configured on the Importer Settings tab. Once you enable these settings, restarting Moving Pictures should trigger a background process to populate the database with links to these files. Alternatively you can just paste a local path (i.e. "C:\stuff\mybackdrop.jpg") in the Movie Manager.

As for the categories menu and the duplicate entry, that sounds a bit odd to me, but you can manually edit this menu by clicking a button on the GUI Settings tab of the config. There is a partial guide to help you with this on our wiki. If you need additional help post here.

Good luck!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I have a large collection of Rock Concert DVDs which I have ripped to my NAS.

Some of them have entries in imdb and some of them do not. MovPics has no probs [obviously] with the ones it can find in imdb.

For the others - I have had to manually add them in movie manager. All fine.

Your best bet would be to look into the XBMC NFO system. This is a simple text file with NFO extension that contains all the info on the media with the same filename (but AVI/MKV/etc extension, it also works on DVD/BR folders if placed in the right location).

This can normally be used to secure any modifications you have made, so that if you import your collection on a different system, or restore after a big crash, that everything will be back to the way you had it. The side effect benefit is that you can also manually create your own NFO files.

XBMC NFO Example for movies: Import - Export Library - XBMC

In order for this to work inside MovingPictures you have to enable the XBMC scraper at a higher position then the imdb (or other scraper, such as the IMDb+ scraper), so that it is used before anything else.

Now this takes care of the textual details. To make the fanart and covers work, you can still rely on the XBMC NFO Scraper, the filename convention for this is as follows:

Covers = {filename of movie}.tbn (simply rename PNG/JPG image to TBN)
    Fanart = {filename of movie}-fanart.jpg​

So that allows you to import any media that is not present on imdb.com without having to manualy edit from inside the "Movie Manager" tab inside MovingPictures config.

If you do not care for the text side of things, then you have another way availabe. And that is to make the cover and fanart images match the filename methods as defined in the "Import Settings" tab under the 'Artwork' section. Default convention is 'folder.jpg/png/bmp' for covers and 'backdrop.jpg/png/bmp' for fanart. So this obviously means you need to put each movie in their own folder for this to work. To work around that you can adjust the settings to be "%filename%-cover.jpg" and "%filename%-fanart.jpg".

dint10

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2010
    Home Country
    For backdrops you have a few options. The easiest way would be to enable searching of the video folder for backdrop images. The default filename is backdrop.jpg but this can be configured on the Importer Settings tab. Once you enable these settings, restarting Moving Pictures should trigger a background process to populate the database with links to these files. Alternatively you can just paste a local path (i.e. "C:\stuff\mybackdrop.jpg") in the Movie Manager.

As for the categories menu and the duplicate entry, that sounds a bit odd to me, but you can manually edit this menu by clicking a button on the GUI Settings tab of the config. There is a partial guide to help you with this on our wiki. If you need additional help post here.

Good luck!

Thanks for replying so fast!

I worked out was happening with the duplcate categories. I had one |music| with lower case m and one |Music| with capital M. I think that happened when I was manually populating fieds on Movie manger. Sorted now.

As for backdrop.jpg; well, I enabled this in the settings as you advised and renamed my .jpg files to suit. Re-booted machine but no joy. Still no background images.

When you said I had to 'restart' Moving Pictures will a reboot do this or do I need to re-import again. I would rather avoid that if possible.

Thank you very much once again.:D

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    You should just have to close the config screen and reopen it. It may take some time though, it is intended to use minimal resources. If you leave the config open for a few minutes and backdrops do not get populated though post debug log files and I can take a look.

dint10

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2010
    Home Country
    You should just have to close the config screen and reopen it. It may take some time though, it is intended to use minimal resources. If you leave the config open for a few minutes and backdrops do not get populated though post debug log files and I can take a look.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I had the nfo check box ticked. I took the tick out but that made no difference.

I ticked the check box that checks folder for backdrop.jpg - this also did not work for me. A pity because it would have saved me a lot of time.

However - what did work for me was manually entering the path for each backdrop individually. A little bit of a pain but I'm happy to have a solution that works.

All looking good now. I created a genre called 'Concert Movies' and moved it up the list of priorites. I then added 'Concert Movies' to the genre tab of each movie's properties. This works well for me for sorting all my video.

I am moving towards having only four genres:

Kids Movies
    Animation
    Concert Movies
    Everything Else

I had actually tried the my music vids plug in but didn't really like it. For me, personally, putting all concerts into their own genre works better I think.

Thanks again for a great plug in.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom