Whhhhhhhhhhyyy?!??!?! (1 Viewer)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Ok thats better. Just venting.

A failed windows update just screwed up my perfect MP install, an instal that took me days to perfect.

"didnt you make a backup?" I hear you ask - yes i did! A clone of the HD.... oh wait... seems the backup has been deleted for some unknown reason.. :'(

So here I am, new years day, reinstalling Windows and MP and all the other bits of software needed... oh well!

Now I have to try and remember all the tweaks and changes I made.

:rolleyes:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Coughhh, same happened to me Christmas, so spent a day reinstalling everything.

It was time to update anyway.

Thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I'm with James. I only use Windows update if I know it will fix some issue I have.
    Although, it must be the time of the seasons though, since I did run my MP machine windows update for the first time a few days ago.

I don't suppose you have system restore working?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    System Restore is actually what really messed it up!

I cant for the life of me figure out what happened to my backup images. I had aHD clone of Windows only, One of WIndows + all drivers and codecs, and then of one with all that and MP. Have a feeling I deleted the wron HDF at one point... oh well.

I have just about rebuilt the PC, and have of course made new images of the HD!

I needed a reinstall anyway.. honest ;)

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Yeah, shit isn't it, have done the same mistake before, now i always have a backup on a own external hdd done with a clone app ;)

Regards
    Roy

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Well, turns out it was a good thing I messed it all up. My system had been getting worse and worse, and once Iinstalled my new DVB-S2 card I got for christmas the system really messed up. So now ive installed from scratch and it is so much quicker, and so much better.

Its midnight, i've been here since 4pm. Creating one more clone of the HD and then im off to sleep!

And now I think about it - im backing up my Laptop tonight too.. not done that in months!.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't suppose you have system restore working

Funny enough, never found this totally worked, may be a hardware issue, but usually GHOST system, just never got around to it lately.

Stupid i know.

Now done.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I've messed up my main living room MP Client by applying "bad" windows updates in the past. I guess I've just been lucky that system restore seemed to work for me these times.

Glad yours is working now though revs. Sometimes a clean install is really the best thing.
    I just never get around to it. Even after re-installing windows ages ago, I just copied back my MP directory from back up and used that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom