[OTHER] Which Card? NVIDIA GT 520 or ATI HD 6450? (1 Viewer)

G

Gelöschtes Mitglied 96825

Both roughly the same price ish.

Just want the mkv playback on 1080p files to be a tiny bit smoother, as i get the odd stutter, and aslo my IGP HD 3300 doesnt do decent sound out of the hdmi cable.

I currently have my HTPC cabled to my 5.1 amp, and my amp to my tv.

Asus NVIDIA GT 520 Silent Graphics Card - 1GB - ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) - Scan.co.uk

Asus HD 6450 Silent AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 1GB - EAH6450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) - Scan.co.uk

Any advice? Im edging towards the 6450.

Needs to be low profile, fanless to keep the noise down!

thanks

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi gaz,

Just a remark to widen your search. I too wanted a noiceless system. But I gambled on the gfx card with that and it turned out OK. I choose a "MSI R5670 Cyclone 1G". I think there are newer/better options available now, cause its still the 5xxx series. But this one has a massive heatsink and a big fan on it. The noice it creates is... extremely low. I have two 120mm slow turning 'silent' fans in the case to cool everything just enough. The cyclone doesnt add to that noice. I have never noticed this fan turning loudly or something. And I am very critical on this.
I know this isnt a low-profile card, but my message is that you might want to broaden your search to include the low heat-load cards with propper low noice cooling. A fan doesnt automatically means a lot of noice. :)

MSI R5670 Cyclone 1G review

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I was looking at the 6450, but then read that it had some issues, and that the 6570 was a better card.

However - I have had no luck finding a low-profile version of the 6570.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The nvidia 520 far exceeds the gt430 in terms of bitrate performance, however theres no format around that can properly utilise it... so its kinda pointlessly too good.
    It's kinda like they made a card thats a few generations ahead just for fun. Its most likely that future generations of video content(after blu ray.. etc) that they will need newer HDMI connections that have not been made yet.
    My GT430 does the job nicely. Just make sure u got room if you are using a htpc case.

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Since one week I use a ASUS ENGT430 DC SILENT/DI/1GD3 and everything is now perfect and most important : stable. I use bitstream HD and the HDMI screen/amplifier capacity are correctly detected. The card use 1 slot and is fanless :) I give it 10/10

PS : Before this card I quickly tryed a Gigabyte GV-NX84S512HP, it run sometime very fine but it was very difficult to have a perfect video, with the GT430, LAV codecs for sound everywhere, LAV codec 0.38 (cuda mode) for TV video and FFdshow for others videos, I don't see any problem yet. Is was a pleasure to see my amplifier display all HD modes.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Against my own advice I got the ATI 6450. Silly me. Another ATI card, another round of driver issues. Will be dumping both my ATI cards and getting the NVidia 430 or 520 soon. Just worried about the picture quali vs ATi

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Which Card? NVIDIA GT 520 or ATI HD 6450?

Hi.
    The image quality of ATI cards is not better as Nvidia and vice versa. It all depends on used codec. As I lately have changed from ATI to Nvidia I can tell on HD material there is no visible difference if you use the same codec on both. I prefer MS codec on HD Material but his could be different on other systems. On SD Material especially SDTV and DVD there is a huge difference as you can't use CUVID on ATI. And with SDTV/DVD there is a huge difference between CUVID and other codecs. In combination with the way better NVidia drivers makes choice really easy atm, NVidia is the better solution for HTPC. This can change in future, but therefore AMD has to do tons of work on drivers (stability) and API (to make a cuvid alike ATI codec possible)...

glenn 1990

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Against my own advice I got the ATI 6450. Silly me. Another ATI card, another round of driver issues. Will be dumping both my ATI cards and getting the NVidia 430 or 520 soon. Just worried about the picture quali vs ATi

And what's the problem with the 6450? I have the same card and have no problems with it ( driver 11.9)

@Lehmden
    "PDVD ham decoder" is the cuda version for ati cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom