Which CPU heatsink for Antec Fusion / NSK2400 case? (1 Viewer)

dan_aka_jack

Portal Member
October 21, 2005
London, UK
Hi there,

Which CPU heatsink would you recommend for use in an Antec Fusion or Antex NSK2400 case (both cases have identical internal dimensions)? Ideally I'd like a heatsink which is large enough to mean that its fan is usually off because it will be cooled by the cases' large fans.

I have read that the Zalman CNPS9700 fan fits with some mods and - if you control the fan with SpeedFan - then the fan will only come on when the CPU is working really hard. Are there any other heatsinks which will fit inside this small case and provide enough surface area to mean that the fan will only come on during high CPU loads?

Many thanks,
Jack

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Jack,

I just installed the new Scythe Ninja Mini in my Antec Fusion case. Fits like a charm and cools at least as good as the stock cooler, but without the noise from the fan ( I decided to not fit the supplied fan).

/Peter

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    I use a nitrogon NT01, and find it perfect for the Antec case, as it mates up flush with the rear vent fan (no modifications at all), although that is probably a function of the placement of my CPU on the motherboard. The only problem is, I'm not sure if they are still available.

Have a look at http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34127 to see how it mounts (I have the same MB as this guy).

I can use the lowest fan setting and summer temperatures of the CPU never exceed 50 degrees even during heavy transcoding.

OgdenP

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2007
    Home Country
    I'd say it would have a lot to do with what processor you are using (which you don't say). In my NSK2400, I have an AMD 64X2 4000+ which is using the stock fan. The fan never exceeds 1600 RPM due to the preocessor temperature never exceeding 32 degrees C! I find it acceptably quiet.

goaltendah1

September 1, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi, I'm new to the forums, and new to the HTPC world.

I'm in the process of slowly building a system that I intend to put into an Antec Fusion case as well, and I have already bought the CPU (AMD 64 X2 6000), MOBO (Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H) and Memory (A-Data dual channel 2gb).

After pursuing the forums I have found that I probably went overkill on the CPU, and maybe even the memory, but based on the CPU (125 watts) and the Antec case, can I get away with just a heat sink and the two case fans, or would it be smarter to use a heat sink/fan combo to cool the CPU?

By the way, MediaPortal looks like an awesome media platform and I’m glad I did the research and found this place. I wasn’t looking forward to shelling out the bucks for MCE or Vista just to make this HTPC. Great work to everyone involved in designing this program. I look forward to loading it onto my HTPC once it’s completed.

Jeff

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Jeff,

I have a E6600 (2.4GHz) C2D in my new Fusion case. It is also an overkill, or investment for the future if you rather see it that way ;-)

I use only the two case fans and the Ninja Mini without any problem at all. I replaced the supplied fans with Noctua 120mm/1200rpm since they are less noisy. I tested to mount the fan with the heatsink and even if it did some few degrees cooler I don't really need it.

/Peter

goaltendah1

September 1, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to be ordering the case in the next week or so, and I'll take the fan change into account as well. I appreciate the info.

This forum is great, lots of great info to sift through.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom