Which Hard Drives help (1 Viewer)

RobTi

Portal Pro
April 29, 2009
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
Hi looking for some help on which hard drives to use in my htpc running Mp

At the moment running Raid 0 with 2 x Samsung 250Gb spinpoint SP250C sata drives with the OS and Mp on it.

Next i have a WD 500Gb WD5000AAKS that i use for any downloads or extra programs.

And bringing up the rear i have a Samsung 120Gb SV120H that is used for timeshifting and recording Tv from Mp.

Al media is on a WHS

So looking for any help on how to improve this set up?

Thanks

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Which Hard Drives help

Depends on what you want.
    You neither need a raid0 nor a extra hd for time shifting.
    So from a speed and capacity point of view for mp every single of the discs in enough.
    And one instead of four drives saves power....

Regards
    Flintstone

RobTi

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Thanks

The reason for the separate drive for the time shifting was i thought that the drive would get hammered doing time shifting so just used an old drive to be abused

Robert

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Which Hard Drives help

well,
    timeshift is in default settings just 6 - 10 files of each 250MB. There is only one written at a time. From a hard disc operation point of view, it is a continuous writing of one file without almost any search and head positioning (and only while watching TV or pausing). Should not have a negative effect on the disc.
    However, even if you want to keep a separate disc for this, you could have all the rest on the 500GB drive and get rid of the two 250GB ones
    regards
    flintstone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom