Which Videocard (1 Viewer)

lcdguy

Portal Member
April 2, 2005
I was wondering which videocard would be a good one, as i am sick and tired of dealing with this MSI bullsh!t.

So please don't recommend anything by ATI or MSI.

I was thinking of an XFX FX5500 would this be enough to run MP and let me do the normal stuff like Watch movies, record / watch tv, listen to music, etc...

HTPC Specs

AMD XP2500+
512mb DDR
Gigabyte GA7VAXP Ultra
AC 97onboard with SPDIF Passthrough
CDROM (will be a dvd rom eventually)
Lots of Hd's

lcdguy

Portal Member
April 2, 2005
when i first got it it was fine then it had a corrupted display like 20 horizontal bars full of random colors, so i RMA'd it now it does 2d graphics fine but has all weird stuff on the 3d graphics and anything to do with directx. My reasoning is that this is the only ATI card i have ever bought and have had trouble with it. while every single nvidia card i have ever bought has never died thats including the geforce mx i bought when they first came out.

lcdguy

Portal Member
April 2, 2005
how much $$$. as i am on a budget and the only thing keeping me from finishing my HTPC is this videocard

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    laeb66 said:
    Why not try a Matrox Millenium 650...
    Excellent for video..

I have NOT heard anything good about the Matrox line on this forum. I question whether is handles DirectX 9.0c very well. You NEED a video card that TRUELY supports DirectX 9.0c natively in hardware (on hte video card). I've only heard recommendations on the ATI and nvidea and since you don't like ATI, just switch over to nvidea. I believe the 6200 is the minimum recommended (ok, maybe of choice, not minimum) nvidea video card.

You can search through this forum to prove me right.

Mike

lcdguy

Portal Member
    April 2, 2005
    while i do know that matrix make some good desktop cards they are by no means what is required for this application. I think i will end up going with an nvidia card and cut losses where they are.

laeb66

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2005
    Sweden
    mzemina said:
    laeb66 said:
    Why not try a Matrox Millenium 650...
    Excellent for video..

I have NOT heard anything good about the Matrox line on this forum. I question whether is handles DirectX 9.0c very well. You NEED a video card that TRUELY supports DirectX 9.0c natively in hardware (on hte video card). I've only heard recommendations on the ATI and nvidea and since you don't like ATI, just switch over to nvidea. I believe the 6200 is the minimum recommended (ok, maybe of choice, not minimum) nvidea video card.

You can search through this forum to prove me right.

Mike

No problem using DirectX 9.0c at all..
    The reason why a use Matrox instead of Nvidia or ATI tath the Matrox has mutch better moition quality then the other cards.

lcdguy

Portal Member
    April 2, 2005
    well considering i am currently running it off of a tnt2 m64 and the only thing it slows at is the interface i think i can get by with something cheaper than a matrox card (they are around 200 bucks for me :( )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom