Which W7 version for MP 2? (1 Viewer)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I still can't think of any good reason to move from XP to W7, ... except wanting to run MP 2!

So in preparation for running MP 2 I'm looking at buying W7. I will have to update 5 PCs, so I want to get this right.

Is there a recommendation for choosing 32 or 64 bit?

VdR

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I'm running X7 X64 for half a year now w.o. any problems with MediaPortal but for MP it wont bring you any advantages either (since MP is a 32bit application). For MP2 I think it hasn't been decided yet if there will be a X64 version.

So imo take the X64 since you might want to put in more than 4 Gigs of RAM in your machine at some point...

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Well from a licensing point of view, if you are buying the retail versions you can use either with the same key. OEM is just for the specific version you buy I believe.

I have the client on W7 32bit and the server on 64bit. I decided to go with the 32bit version to guard against any codec issues, but to be honest I don't think that is needed, I just wasn't sure at the time so played it safe. One thing to check is driver compatibility for your TV card(s) in W7 64bit, I had two Pinnacles that would appear to work they just wouldn't get any channels on a 64bit system. My Hauppauge Nova-t 500s work just fine though.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Which W7 version for MP 2?

From my experience with Win7, there isn't any good reason why you should stay on 32 bit.

BDA driver support is not as good on 64 bit as it is on 32 bit - so, some investigation is good thing to do before bying W7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom