Who has a LCD?/Who is interested in a LCD? (1 Viewer)

Who has LCD / wants LCD support in MP?

• I am planning to get a LCD in the future

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No concrete plans but think it is an interesting feature

• I have no need for a LCD support

• I don´t bother

• Total voters

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Hi all,

as you may have followed there is a feature request for LCD support of MediaPortal.

The thing is, it is a thread with 1.250 views, so I think there is a general interest in the topic.http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21

Sure it is not top prio.

Might be usefull for:
    # projector people for listening to music and such without throwing on the beamer.
    # listening to music or radio without need to switch on tv
    # Having a neat, eye candy display on the machine

I would like to know how big the general interest in this feature is. And I would like to know who already has a LCD or thinks of puting one in a first/new htpc.

The question is also important, because if this plugin will be developped/ported from meedio we would need someone for testing!

My own situation is, that I have a MSI Mega 651 which has a built in display, but that seems to be not usable for third party applications until now. This might be different with the newer Megas like Mega 180 (have not digged so deeply into these. Well, but I think of putting in another LCD with similar size. Because as of now the msi display isn´t displaying any worthy information at all. But before I take this challenge, I´d like to know that there is something to display.

I´ll think about the poll options now.
    I won´t differentiate between text and graphic LCDs because I don´t have too much knowledge about this, but you can post the specs if you like.

tomtom21000

EdWin

June 30, 2004
    Germany
    I have a 4x40 character display (HD44780 based), a 240x64 and a 240x128 both T6963C based. I would prefer the graphical solution, because there is more to see on such a display.

Patric

Portal Pro
    August 27, 2004
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    rabbit0900 said:
    I have a D-Vine 5 whith a USB board which has a IR device and a VFD 16*2 display.

I'm using the same. Mine is the older version with the Saseem OnAir-VFD/IR. Would be a nice optical gimmick.

Patric

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Whats the exact use of this poll ?
    I mean you already know what the results will be on forehand
    If you ask people if they want feature xyz in MP then i guess everybody will click on YES, I WANT THAT NOW

-So are we going to have a poll for every wanted feature ?
    -Or is this meant to put more pressure on the devs to develop it ?
    -Or...

Frodo

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    frodo said:
    Whats the exact use of this poll ?
    I mean you already know what the results will be on forehand
    If you ask people if they want feature xyz in MP then i guess everybody will click on YES, I WANT THAT NOW

You may have a point here. No matter how you put up the options, people tend to take all features they can get (and are too polite to answer "no")

The main point for me was to get information on how many users do not only think it is a nice feature but actually have a LCD in their HTPC or want to place one in their planned one in the near future.

frodo said:
    -So are we going to have a poll for every wanted feature ?

No.

frodo said:
    -Or is this meant to put more pressure on the devs to develop it ?

Absolutely no. I have great respect for the work and the time you give into this project. I know you are busy with things for 0.1. I don´t need this feature so urgent. It is just that the opportunity arouse to take advantage of a dev willing to make a plugin. My personal opinion is, that some kind of statement from the devs would be/would have been nice, like

# we can´t do this now, we are busy with 0.1. Can we contact you beginning of next year
    # we can´t implement this now but we can discuss how mp will output data to a plugin so you can start with it
    # we are not interested
    # we want to develop it ourselves
    # we first need to make a new poll ;) (like you did) to see what feature the users prefer to have next.

Sorry, if you got the impression I wanted to push this and put pressure on you and the team. I am just throwing in ideas or conceptional thoughts and some bug reports to improve mediaportal like so many others do. I can´t do programming and can´t estimate the work that is needed to programm this or that. And the feature is not #1 on my personal list, I only feel a bit responsible as I made the contact to HdWagner. That´s about it.

tomtom21000

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    its not that i'm pissed off or something:)
    just wondering what the purpose of the poll was.
    Offcourse i'm a user also, and i would love to have support for LCD
    but i also want winlirc, DVB-S, DVB-T, cdripper, dvrms->dvd encoding,
    my radio recording etc etc.
    soo many things, so little time

So the offical status is :
    - yep I like all those features you guys are proposing including LCD
    - since I cannot develop them all at the same time, i hope other devs are willing to help out here
    - last but not least. I dont got an LCD in my htpc (ugh ugly word). So for me personnaly its not top priority
    - any information about this (or other features like dvb-t/dvb-s,...) are welcomed. With information i mean:

- example source code (maybe other opensource projects)
    - documentation
    - maybe 'standard' interfaces

Frodo

Schmidti

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2004
    Germany
    Hi Frodo,
    I hope with HdWagner we got someone who is able to make the plugin.
    He nearly finished all the programmation.
    The only problem is the Interface (information exchange) between MP and the plugin. So he needs your help. It is on your side to make us all happy. Same story all the time!!! :p

see tread:
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21&highlight=lcd

A

Anonymous

DiNovo LCD

Hi, I have a Logitech DiNovo bluetooth keyboard, mouse, media pad.
    Currently it requires the Logitech drivers loaded to transmit info to the LCD screen in the media pad (picture a 10key keypad with jog player control, very thin and LCD at top like a calculator).

It streams video title and play info while playing movies.

I haven't sniffed on the bluetooth yet to see how it has to form packets to go to the keypad, but maybe someone already has this down.

I don't know about you, but I am not going to read a tiny LCD screen that is sitting in the AV rack (which may be in the other room).

I can be up to 25 foot away with my keyboard or media pad and it works great. I also use it when I VNC to my Linux Xbox to control MythTV.
    The LCD doesn't work for that (yet), but I will have to setup the keyboard direct to the xbox for a start.

KUDOS on a great project.
    May the source be with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom