Who uses the channel scanning "create group" options? (1 Viewer)

Do you use the channel scanning "create group" options?

• Yes, and I'd like you to keep them in TVE 3.5.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Yes, but you can remove them in TVE 3.5 if you make the channels section search function better.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No, I used them in the past but I don't use them any more.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No, I've never used them.

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters

pünktchen

Portal Pro
October 26, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Just a comment about the filter for the channels: It is too technical!!!
You have to use "type" to filter the column "Tuning Details"? That doesn't make sense.
Also the use of "!" and "&" and those commands is just too geeky!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I intend it for advanced/expert users. Simply don't use it if you think it is too technical. The simple text filtering (like the current TVE 3 filter) still works. ;)

[edit: To be clear, the simple text filtering only searches the channel name (same as TVE 3). Not very powerful. That is exactly why I felt we needed something more for advanced filtering.]

You have to use "type" to filter the column "Tuning Details"? That doesn't make sense.
    What doesn't make sense about it?
    The "type" part enables you to specify which channel property you are filtering by. Otherwise there's no way to know if you were intending to match the channel name, provider, channel number, group etc.

[edit: To be clear, using "tuning details" instead of "type" is not possible due to the space. Most of the other properties match the column names (eg. name, number, group, provider etc.).]

Also the use "!" and "&" and those commands is just too geeky!
    Yep, they probably are geeky... but like I said, this function is intended for advanced users.

Rather than just saying "it is too technical" and "just too geeky", can you suggest a better way to implement this?
    Note I don't want create specific filtering fields that fill the screen with clutter and make it look complex.

By the way, here is the complete list of "commands":
    & = conditional AND
    | = conditional OR
    : = contains
    < = less than
    <= = less than or equal
    == = equal
    != = not equal
    >= = greater than or equal
    > = greater than

Last edited:

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I intend it for advanced/expert users. Simply don't use it if you think it is too technical. The simple text filtering (like the current TVE 3 filter) still works. ;)
    Okay!

What doesn't make sense about it?
    The "type" part enables you to specify which channel property you are filtering by. Otherwise there's no way to know if you were intending to match the channel name, provider, channel number, group etc.

[edit: To be clear, using "tuning details" instead of "type" is not possible due to the space. Most of the other properties match the column names (eg. name, number, group, provider etc.).]
    That's what i mean. Otherwise you have to write down all the possible filters in a wiki.

Also the use "!" and "&" and those commands is just too geeky!
    Yep, they probably are geeky... but like I said, this function is intended for advanced users.
    Yes that's a general problem of MediaPortal, often it is too advanced :D

By the way, here is the complete list of "commands":
    & = conditional AND
    | = conditional OR
    : = contains
    < = less than
    <= = less than or equal
    == = equal
    != = not equal
    >= = greater than or equal
    > = greater than
    A tooltip when you move your mouse over the input or something like a "quickhelp button" would be nice!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's what i mean. Otherwise you have to write down all the possible filters in a wiki.
    I expect this will need to be described in the wiki anyway, but I understand your point. :)

Yes that's a general problem of MediaPortal, often it is too advanced :D
    I agree. In TVE 3.5 I'm doing my best to simplify where I can, but if we lose all the advanced functions then we're no different/better than WMC (which I really dislike).

A tooltip when you move your mouse over the input or something like a "quickhelp button" would be nice!
    There has always been a "help" button up in the top right corner of TV Server configuration which links to the corresponding section in the wiki. That can help for a start (once the help redirects are fixed and the wiki description for filtering is written). I can also add a tooltip listing the properties ("name", "type" etc.) and commands ("&", "|" etc.). Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom