Why does MediaPortal Keep Muting the volume every time I change a TV channel? (1 Viewer)

jebus1867

Portal Member
September 18, 2014
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi pretty much as the title says. I'm sure this must get asked a million times, but why does it do this? Every time I change a TV channel the sound gets muted. It's very annoying!

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Never heard about this.

Please give us more Details about your System. What Type of Remote are you using? It would Help if you fill out your System Specs.
    And Logs are also welcome :)

Thanks!

jebus1867

Portal Member
    September 18, 2014
    Home Country
    Well that's concerning if noone has ever heard of it before.

I have two generic Astrometa DVB-T2 USB tuners, which are overall excellent. I Also have a Zotan Z-Box En760 Plus (basically designed as the Steambox, until steam decided they couldn't get their controller ready on time).

The specs can be seen here:

http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-...er/DESC/amount/10/section/specifications.html

Or for quick reference here:

Product Name
    Product Name ZBOX EN760 Plus
    Chipset
    Manufacturer Intel
    Chipset N/A
    GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (Maxwell) 640 processor cores 2GB GDDR5 / 128-bit memory bus Engine clock: 1020 MHz (base) / 1097 MHz (boost) Memory clock: 5000 MHz
    CPU Compatibility
    Name Intel Core i5 4200U (dual-core, 1.6 GHz) (Turbo up to 2.6 GHz)
    Socket N/A
    Frontside Bus N/A
    Memory
    Memory Type DDR3L
    Memory Speed 1600 MHz
    Slots 2 x 204-pin SODIMM
    Capacity 8GB (up to 16GB)
    Expansions
    Expansion Slots N/A
    3D API
    DirectX DirectX 11.2 (feature level 11_0)
    OpenGL OpenGL 4.4
    Networking
    Ethernet 2 x 10/100/1000Mbps
    WiFi 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0
    Audio
    Analog Stereo output
    Digital 8-ch via DVI-HDMI
    Storage
    Hard Drive 1TB 5400RPM HDD
    Optical Drive N/A
    Memory Card Reader 4-in-1 (MMC/SD/SDHC/SDXC)
    Ports
    DVI 1 (dual-link)
    HDMI 1
    DisplayPort 0
    SATA 2 (1 SATA 6.0 Gb/s, 1 mSATA 6.0 Gb/s)
    eSATA N/A
    IDE N/A
    PS2 N/A
    Serial Port N/A
    USB Ports 4 USB 3.0 (2 on back panel, 1 on top, 1 front)
    Firewire N/A
    Cooler
    Cooler Smartfan
    Form Factor
    Form Factor mini-PC
    OS Compatibility
    Windows User installed (Windows 7/8 ready)
    General
    SLI Supported N/A
    Maximum Resolution N/A
    Other
    Graphics Output 1 DVI
    Packaging
    Content 1 x ZOTAC ZBOX EN760 2 x WiFi antenna 1 x VESA mount 4 x Mounting screws 1 x DVI-VGA adapter 1 x Stand 1 x AC adapter 1 x Power cord 1 x Warranty card 1 x User manual 1 x Quick Install Guide 1 x USB drive with O/S driver 1 x Driver disc

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro. I'm not sure how to get the logs?

I am not using a remote currently, or more accurately I haven't configured one yet. The Zotan comes with a built in CIR (IR blaster) however, although the range is slightly weak. I have also bought a Jon Rhees USB-UIRT as I plan to do some home automation work a little further down the line.

Currently though I am just using a little Logitec wireless keyboard with no remote configured at all ATM. I have a Logitech Harmony 650 so in theory I could select from a range of options for the remote.

However that is probably irrelevant, as as I said, I don't have any remotes configured yet.

For the record I also tried a PCTV 290e and this is also being muted when I change channels. To be exact the master volume doesn't get muted, just Media Portal when you look at it under volume control in the mixer settings in the system tray just next to the clock.

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay. No remote - no wrong Commands for Audio Mute... :)

You can use the Watchdog Tool to gather Log Files. Or you have a look in you installation Directory to copy them by yourself.

jebus1867

Portal Member
    September 18, 2014
    Home Country
    OK this is bizarre, but when I launch media portal with the Watchdog tool, there are no issues with muting the audio when I change the channel during TV playback. When I launch Media portal without this however it does mute the audio. Excuse the cunfusion, but WTF? Lol.

jebus1867

Portal Member
    September 18, 2014
    Home Country
    OK assuming that's true (although I don't recall installing any plugins) and having just wiped MediaPortal cleanly from my system, using the full uninstaller option, CCleaner, and having gone through my registry with a fine tooth comb, where I wonder might I find the TV server for MediaPortal 10th anniversary release? It doesn't seem to have one, although I am probably missing something with this new version.

Edit:

I have to say that this is turning into a bit of a mental endurance test of 9+ hours just to get MediaPortal working. It seems very 'unstable' I suppose is the best way to put it, rock solid once its running I suspect, but very choosy about how its set up and which plugins it will work with. It turns out I had installed a few, but even though I deleted them the setup process still complained that there were missing dlls and that it couldn't load them.

I hope I can just get it running and move on. :)

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...where I wonder might I find the TV server for MediaPortal 10th anniversary release? It doesn't seem to have one, although I am probably missing something with this new version.
    So to be clear: are you deciding to switch from MediaPortal 1 to MediaPortal 2? Keep in mind they're completely different. MediaPortal 2 is a work-in-progress (beta) and not based on MediaPortal 1.

TV support in MediaPortal 2 is described here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...dated-for-10th-ae-update-1-2014-09-13.114068/
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/9_Reference/TV_support

Summary: you can either use the MP1 TV Server (TVE 3) + MPExtended, or you can use Native TV (TVE 3.5) which is a plugin.
    Native TV is pre-alpha (ie. very new) software under heavy development, and therefore subject to change and likely to have many issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom