Why is firetv so much better (1 Viewer)

barnonline

Portal Member
November 9, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Let me be very clear, I'm not asking for help to get my tv cards working better.
I'm asking for an explanation.

I have been using mediaportal for around a decade now.
In that time I have been through a multitude of hardware and hardware combinations, and the situation have always been the same.
So we are talking about different tuner cards and different motherboards and basically different everything.

I have always been able to make my FireTV card work flawlessly. (not always without problems, but I could make it work in the end)

Then I have had a lot of different other cards:
Twinhan
Hauppauge
(I can't recall them all)
And lastly Digital Devices (Very satisfied with that)
Common for them all is 2 things

1) They go directly into the pci(e) slot
2) Most of the time 90% they just works, but on some channels they give pixellations (My tv channel package havde changed over the years)

When I assign the FireTV card to the channel that pixellates, problem is solved.

I can see a pattern, if the stream goes in via the Firewireport I can always make it work. If it goes directly to the pci slot, problems can occur.

Can anyone explain this?

I don't know what I will do when my firetv finally dies.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The theory I've seen put forward is electromagnetic interference. There's probably quite a bit of it inside a computer case and, depending on where the tv card is placed and how well shielded it is, this can interfere with the TV signal.

barnonline

Portal Member
    November 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Aha, that seems plausible.
    Thanks

Edit: Wait... But it only affects some channels.
    Or perhaps more precisely, there is some tv stations whose channels is always ok.
    And then there is other tv stations where some of the channels is ok and other channels is flaky at times.

During all the years I have used dvb-c, and the signal strength have always been maximal

Last edited:

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Edit: Wait... But it only affects some channels.
    Or perhaps more precisely, there is some tv stations whose channels is always ok.
    And then there is other tv stations where some of the channels is ok and other channels is flaky at times.
    It will be dependent on the channel's frequency. Off the top of my head I think it's lower frequencies that are more susceptible as they are closer to the frequency of the usual sources of environmental interference.
    Of course it could just be that the firetv has a better quality tuner in it [emoji6]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom