Why MP is quite "heavy"? (1 Viewer)

Blutarsky

Portal Member
June 22, 2006
On a Centrino Pentium M/1.6ghz + 512MB Ram, + HD7200RPM+ nVidia Fx Go 5200/64MB it takes a bit to load and it looks like, once loaded it is a bit slow. Also my notebook fan starts spinning quite often.

Does it depend on the skins subsystem or what?

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    i also used MP on a notebook some time ago but in the end i realized that this is just not the best solution...

I guess the "heaviness" is quite a bit related to the .Net engine in the first place - but my knowledge of these parts of MP is quite limited.

before my "almost real HTPC" i'm using now i used on a 1.7Ghz centrino, 512DDR and 128mb REAL MEMORY graphic card and i've had in fact no performance problems at all.

i guess the weak point of your setup is your graphic card letting MP appear "heavy" for you... 64MB are not that much, is it even only shared memory????? that would explain a lot

edit: don't bother because of the Fan - my actual solution tries to simulate a plain-start every now and then... louder than a notebook could possibly be (-;

Blutarsky

Portal Member
    June 22, 2006
    It is a 64Mb on board...
    "heavyness" appears when:
    - launching MP
    - changing channel (very slow, about 3/4 seconds, using a DVB-T USB receiver, but the same one used with it's own utility is faster)
    - resizeng TV
    - loading my pictures
    - very slow when building thumbs

Apart from that I think this product is great.

Eeyore

Portal Pro
    April 2, 2006
    Newcastle, Australia
    Home Country
    Blutarsky said:
    It is a 64Mb on board...
    "heavyness" appears when:
    - launching MP
    - changing channel (very slow, about 3/4 seconds, using a DVB-T USB receiver, but the same one used with it's own utility is faster)
    - resizeng TV
    - loading my pictures
    - very slow when building thumbs

Apart from that I think this product is great.

my system as below exhibits the same traits...as does everyones..

loading time is about 10 seconds (just guessing, never timed it)
    channel changing is slow compaired to Compro software

As for the others...
    my resizing is instant
    loading pictures is ok, but this has to do with the transition effects and the size of the actual file

the speed of building thumbs is slow for first use...i believe the devs are making some changes in the area

Blutarsky

Portal Member
    June 22, 2006
    nitro said:
    the speed of building thumbs is slow for first use...i believe the devs are making some changes in the area

Yep, my old Acsdsee v. 3 (2001) is much faster. there should be somewehere some public speedy code.....

Nevertheless keep going guys you're doing a fantastic job

Isaac Lin

Portal Member
    March 31, 2006
    Taiwan
    Heavy? Especially in program start up. As I know, MP needs to load font, icon and background files into video memory. Well, this is one of the heavy staff… You won’t feel any pain on ass for using English language. So mine is using Traditional Chinese. The font engine is my 1st headache and performance and scalability are not very well. Hopefully, I can find the solution or someone can give me some suggestions on it.

eL-t-Mo

June 30, 2006
    check the latest svn !!!

Had the same probs.... even on my 3Ghz intel, 1gb mem...

BUT, the latest SVN 06-30-2006 runs lightning fast on my system using the tiny Pinnacle PCTV USB 60e.

so, try the latest SVN!

greetings

eL-t-Mo

tfd

Portal Member
    March 29, 2006
    Getting better slowly but surely. Starting MyTv would take sometimes up to 30 seconds in the past.

Timed it just now: <5 seconds

Would say: we're getting there

Cheers
    Ronald

zxcvbnm2

Portal Pro
    March 23, 2006
    New Zealand/Whangarei
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The latest cvn seems heaps faster for tv start up/changing channel.

Thumbs seem to be usable now, only just started using them as they where to slow last time I tried months ago. I see thumbs are cached, is this new or has it been always like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom