Will MP or other MP type software become the new NETSCAPE? (1 Viewer)

kevon27

Portal Pro
January 26, 2006
With MCE being bundled with vista, will anyone care about the other types of media software like MP? Even if they are better, having MCE builtin would make people lazy to try anything else.

Remember in the early days of the internet, netscape and other browsers were big. Then MS started bundling internet explorer with windows and people just did not care about the netscape(s) anymore. It tooks years for for a Program like FireFox to become a contender in the late browser race.

Will this sorta thing happen to Media Portal?

squidina

Portal Member
August 5, 2005
Well I guess it could happen. I don't think it will, at least in the short to medium term.

While yes MS is bundling MCE with Vista, I doubt many people will actually use it for their media needs. I think there's still quite a stigma with having computers in the lounge room, although when people see one working they all want one.

I wouldn't worry about this for now. The biggest issue MP has if people lose interest in developing for it. A casual glance through the forums would indicate this is far from a problem! ( thank goodness :D )

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I think because of the nature of MP (Open Source) it will never get left in the dust. In my eyes, netscape went away because they were very slow to upgrade the browser. IE became a better product at some point in time and netscape lost ground. I think people are going to be looking for products that meet their needs... and MP is going to be one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom