Will MP run better than WMC7 on an older PC (1 Viewer)

P

Penbrock

I have on older PC (single core, 2 meg ram) that I would live to use to watch videos recorded from my WMC7 main system.
I have tried using WMC7 but it can't handle it. It just stutters the whole movie.
Would MP work any better at playing? I am already using MCEbuddy to convert the Windows recordings to MP4

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is more likely to be the hardware than the software here.

What graphics card do you have and are you playing HD material? Also when converting to MP4 are you just changing the container or are you actually re-encoding the video?

P

Penbrock

Oh and I MCEbuddy is re encoding it to 'High profile, high quality 1 pass MP4 (H.264/AAC) conversion'

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is a Pen4 2.6 Ghz CPU, 2 meg ram and a GeForce 6200 video card
    Oh and I MCEbuddy is re encoding it to 'High profile, high quality 1 pass MP4 (H.264/AAC) conversion'
    You are encoding to basically bluray encoding and I doubt your setup can cope with that.
    What was the original source?
    If you re-encode to sd quality mpeg2 then you are likely to have more luck.
    Your card is at the very limit of what MP can work with

P

Penbrock

You are encoding to basically bluray encoding and I doubt your setup can cope with that.
    What was the original source?
    If you re-encode to sd quality mpeg2 then you are likely to have more luck.
    Your card is at the very limit of what MP can work with

I do see the shows that give me the most problem is the one that Windows records from an HD source.
    Thanks I will try playing with the settings and see what happens

- If I find another video card (AGP) it would help?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't upgrade that pc, it will still give you problems with MP even if upgrading. You'd be better off saving for a new htpc from scratch.

Your best bet is to use XBMC, preferably the linux version. There is a linux bootcd version of xbmc, called "xbmcuntu" you can download + try from their website, it will run much better than MP on that old hardware.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu

And jameson is right about encoding, you shouldn't encode to mpeg4 h264 as your graphics card won't do hardware acceleration, mpeg2 is best for your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom