Will this card work? (1 Viewer)

Hinde

Portal Member
November 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CRD10186

I am not looking for high-quality picture or sound, and I am really jsut looking to get a tv card that will capture video without desyncing the sound and will work with mediaportal. I looked on the supported cards page in the support section and its not listed. Analog and NTSC if it makes a difference.

jthinc

November 15, 2006
Sorry

I have this card. I actually bought it from the site you're looking at. At this point in time I have not been able to get it to work. It does however work with other software pretty well. It's unfortunate because MP is the best mediacenter software available in my opinion. If you do buy it and get it to work I would love to know how!

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The reason this card wont work with MediaPortal is because its a software encoding card. All of the recording and compressing is done by your CPU and the computer software compared to a hardware encoding cards like the PVR series from Hauppauge which do all the encoding in hardware directly on the card itself.

I used to use an ASUS TV-FM card, and it was a software encoding card like the WinTV-GO is. Picture quality was great when simply watching TV, but recording was flakey most of the time.

Save yourself the headache, spend a bit more on a hardware encoding card like a PVR-150 MCE which is fully supported by MediaPortal, and is only a few more dollars than the WinTV GO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom