Operating System Win7 or WinXP? -> 32bit or 64bit? (2 Viewers)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    32bit = 4gb, even then windows reports less, but will use it.
    64bit- only limited by what your motherboard can support (found in manual or website).

32 bit memory address length with binary addresses => 2^32 bytes addressable => 4 GB
    64 bit memory address length with binary addresses => 2^64 bytes addressable => 1.7 x 10^10 GB :D

Ever heard of the KISS principle ;)

ps. for those that do not know "Keep It Simple Stupid" LOL

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A quick thought - if you move to Win7, you might want to think about upgrading the video card - the EVR renderer (which you have to use with Win7) needs more GPU power than XP+VMR9 to run smoothly - 7600GS is probably OK for SD, but it might struggle playing HD in Win7.

Tony

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    A quick thought - if you move to Win7, you might want to think about upgrading the video card - the EVR renderer (which you have to use with Win7) needs more GPU power than XP+VMR9 to run smoothly - 7600GS is probably OK for SD, but it might struggle playing HD in Win7.

Tony

The 'My System' specs to the left of my post are actually outdated, see the specs in my first post for what im actually running now. I upgraded to an ATI Radeon 4670 last year and it handles HD just fine.

CrashUK

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2008
    windows 7 all the way... it was made to work as a media center. comes with most codecs.. lot better video playback then xp.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    The 'My System' specs to the left of my post are actually outdated, see the specs in my first post for what im actually running now. I upgraded to an ATI Radeon 4670 last year and it handles HD just fine.
    I'm puzzled to why you just don't update your system specs. It helps others to help you so you get your answers much faster/to the point.

Even though Xp was not bad at all and will be supported with updates until 2014, if you have the hardware for it and a license, MP on W7 runs more smoothly. I also still have an Xp client but the main system is on W7 for quite some time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom