Winamp is recieving garbage/wrong path (1 Viewer)

MP.User.1138

Portal Member
March 9, 2011
MediaPortal Version - 1.1.2:
MediaPortal Skin - Build in:
Windows Version - XP SP2:
CPU Type - Intel E5200:
HDD - Plenty:
Memory - 2GB:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H:
Video Card - Build in:
Video Card Driver - Latest:
Sound Card - Build in:
Sound Card Driver - Latest:

When I'm trying to use Winamp as an external player I can see the name of the track it tries to play in the home screen, but it just cycles the tracks from the playlist or folder. Winamp is showing a blinking/re-updating "Now Playing" just as fast as the home screen is updating with new track names. No sound is played at all. When using the internal BASS player it works fine.

I'm trying to use the One Button Music plugin to play background music while browsing around in MP deciding what movie watch, but the lack of volume control in the plugin is forcing me to try other options, hence Winamp. Was hoping I could get One Button Music to play at around 20 - 30 % volume as to not getting blown away by the background music when exiting the DVD player after watching some action movie at full tilt. :D

If someone have a solution for the One Button Music volume issue that'll be even better.
So any help would be most appreciated.

MP.User.1138

Portal Member
March 9, 2011
As for volume then I am not sure what you are saying. You want background music at a much lower volume?
Exactly.
After watching a movie with the pre-amp volume at between -25 to -20dB, then when exiting the DVD player to go back to Moving Pictures or the home screen or what ever, I'd like to play some background music while browsing around for another movie for instance.

As it is now I've setup One Button Music to play after 3 sec's of idle time, but playing music at the before mentioned volume levels is not what I'd call background music, it'll be loud and obnoxious as you wouldn't be able to have a regular conversation with other people in the room. Hence why I'd like to control what volume level the One Button Music plugin uses for playback. ;)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK just read the other post too. Most SPDIF outputs will cause you to loose all volume control on the PC. On XP you can try to adjust the wave volume slider in the mixer which may or may not help

MP.User.1138

Portal Member
    March 9, 2011
    OK just read the other post too. Most SPDIF outputs will cause you to loose all volume control on the PC.
    Thats my experience too, but the volume control in Winamp works fine and as a volume control should work if you ask me.
    Too many sound generating programs just (ab)use the master or wave volume control within Windows and don't, like Winamp, have their own internal volume output adjustment.

Won't the Wave slider, if it works, also mess with the output level of the MP DVD player ?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Won't the Wave slider, if it works, also mess with the output level of the MP DVD player ?
    Assuming you are outputting DD/DTS then no.

The issue with controlling volume anywhere is you can loose quality. When done on the PC the signal is still digital and messing around with it to change the volume can significantly reduce the quality.

I have never used it but there is a dynamic amplification setting for music in config and also the ability to load Winamp/VST plugins

MP.User.1138

Portal Member
    March 9, 2011
    also noticed VolumeControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.6.1
    Doesn't it only work for TV channels ?
    Anyway, I installed the foobar2000 player to use that instead of Winamp, but the foobar plugin in MP threw an exception when I tried to configure it.
    Then I went back to using the BASS player to test that dynamic amplification option.
    The option itself didn't do much, at least nothing I could hear with the track I used for testing, but somehow the playback volume control for the BASS player now works and the background music that the One Button Music plugin is playing is playing at the volume level I want it to.
    Got no clue to what I've done to make it work, but now it does and I'm a happy camper :)

Edit

Forgot to say thanks for your help and suggestions. So there you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom