Windows 7 to 10 and AverMedia Polaris TV Tuner card (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bernard

March 6, 2016
Home Country
Australia Australia
Greetings All,

I have just successfully installed Media Portal 1 on Windows 7 with an AverMedia Polaris TV Tuner card, quite an old device. My purpose in doing this is to be able to continue to use the computer for TV under Windows 10.

If I upgrade to Windows 10, I fear the necessary drivers and support for this card may not be available and it may not continue to work. Does Media Portal contain all its own drivers for this card? Does anybody have any experience with upgrading with this type of card?

Andrew

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Andrew

Does Media Portal contain all its own drivers for this card?
    MediaPortal does not provide drivers for any tuners. That's the responsibility of the product vendor - in your case, AVerMedia.

If I upgrade to Windows 10, I fear the necessary drivers and support for this card may not be available and it may not continue to work.
    Anecdotally, in most cases tuners that have worked in W7 have continued to work in W10. The only confirmed exception I've come across so far has been the ATI HDTV Wonder. Based on that info/experience, I'd expect your tuner has a very good chance of continuing to work in W10 [with the same driver as worked in W7].

P.S. AVerMedia doesn't seem to have ever produced a "Polaris" model tuner. If you want answers to your questions, I'd advise you to figure out which model of tuner you actually have. I suspect it's probably some kind of "Volar" variant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom