Wireless N routers (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
ive been looking into upgrading my current netgear wireless G router to an 802.11n capable wireless router so that i can stream video (and hopefully HD video) over my home LAN.

i see that 802.11n format is still in draft though, so do you think itd be better waiting for a while, or can someone confirm a router/adapter setup that they have fully working with video streaming?

btw, my setup is a master PC running XP pro with MP 1.0.1 onto a laptop client running 1.0.2.

If it helps, my full system specs are here ____
<___________________________________)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Actually, the final date for the draft to be committed should be friday 11. september, so we are getting really close :)

At least that is the plan...

The current draft is as close to the final as you get. I wouldn't hold back buying anything because of that. Perhaps the best bet is to get same brand gear. Looking forward to hear any suggestions to hardware.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    cool. i knew the final date was close, but didnt realise it was this week! :)

ive been looking at belkin N wireless routers, but reviews are a bit vague or mixed. would be interested to hear peoples views on them..

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The Belkin wireless 802.11n router I had died after 2 years! I also had trouble trying to work with their tech support to resolve some problems. The best thing I did was to go back to Netgear, have had the WNR3500 for over 2 years with NO problems.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    what wireless speeds are you getting over LAN with an 802.11n card/adapter? im hearing mixed things about wireless N capabilities.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would NOT be using wireless for streaming of video. At least I wouldn't! But I haven't gone into the systems to tweak the QOS (Quality of Service) or any other settings either.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Some info on my setup:

I've been using wireless-n since I built my rig at the beginning of this year. I have a Netgear WNR834B wireless router on my quad Phenom desktop and a Netgear WN311B adapter on my HTPC. The router is connected to cable internet via a VoIP analogue adapter through the cable modem. I have had no issues with this setup.

However, I originally purchased a USB adapter (WN111) for the HTPC, and it had problems reconnecting to the network when the HTPC resumed from suspend mode. I have since read that USB adapters commonly have this issue. After purchasing the PCI adapter I no longer have problems with the adapter re-connecting to the network when the HTPC resumes from suspend.

The speed varies, but ranges from 150Mbps to 220Mbps without any tweaking (the theoretical maximum for my wireless router is 270Mbps). The desktop PC and HTPC are approx 8 metres apart and separated by a garage with metal cabinets, 2 walls and other junk. I believe the bitrate I get should be fine for HD streaming as well, and the router description mentions the capability of simultaneous HD streaming + internet browsing + VoIP phone calls... Since I only have SD TV, I have tried downloading a large file + streaming a movie from the desktop PC + speaking on the VoIP phone with no problems.

To sum up: go for a wireless-n solution. It works well (provided you are careful with selecting USB devices). A good place to start is to read reviews :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom