Workaround for flickering overlays with EVR and ATI. (1 Viewer)

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,

Since I was the one started the thread https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/flickering-tv-guide-other-overlays-evr-enabled-34864/, I just want to inform you that there is a workaround available that is working well for me. The workaround is to run MediaPortal in single core mode. And as most of you probably know it is not that convenient to set this via task manager (Processor Affinity), since that is only possible when the application is started...

The workaround is something I documented in the original thread, but since it is rather long I decided to create a new thread for this. I've run this application fix for 4 months now with no problems with flickering overlays in MP.

The workaround is an application fix .sdb file that works both for XP and VISTA that tells the OS to use "SingleProcAffinity" for MediaPortal.exe in all cases.
I've created this from Windows Compatibility Toolkit. I've attached a screenshot of the tool and how it is configured for those interested, and also the created mediaportal_compat.sdb file.

So here is how you would use it:

Download the mediaportal_compat.zip, unpack it and run in a command prompt: "sdbinst mediaportal_compat.sdb" and it should install. After that you should not need to set the processor affinity manually anymore.

Since I don't use CoreAVC or other sw based decoding I have no problem that I only use one core of my CPU.

If you decide that "this is to no use for me" you disable it by running "sdbinst -u mediaportal_compat.sdb" in a command prompt.

Attachments

• mediaportal_compat.JPG
    mediaportal_compat.JPG
    101.2 KB

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I tried this. Flickering is better but not completely eliminated.
    My setup: Catalyst 8.5 (only good working version), AMD X2 BE-2400, Gigabyte 780G MoBo with HD3200 GFX, PoverDVD 7 codecs with latest patch and activated DXVA

I will try one more method: put inside a Phenom CPU with HT3. I guess this will help (double bandwith for RAM). I have just ordered a Phenom X3 8450. I will keep you informed.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Another option is to use the ATI Avivo Codec, this will lead to zero flickering in EVR mode.

I will check it out. This could help with MPG2 SDTV. But I don´t think that the ATi h.264 will work well with 1080i HDTV. M The user guide of the gigabyte board advice PowerDVD 7.3, not the ATi codec, surely not without reason. Thanx anyway.

I have the feeling that this whole flickering issue must have to do with DXVA. I will report.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Another option is to use the ATI Avivo Codec, this will lead to zero flickering in EVR mode.

I will check it out. But I don´t think that the ATi h.264 will work well with 1080i HDTV. Maybe for MPG2 SDTV. The user guide of the gigabyte board advice PowerDVD 7.3, not the ATi codec. Thanx anyway.

I don't get flickering with the PDP8 H.264 codec in EVR, only when using the MPEG2 codec.

The ATI H.264 doesn't work with MP.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The ATI Avivo Codec does not use DXVA on my system anyway (MPEG2 DVD).
    I can definitely see that the picture quality is worse than with Cyberlink. This is especially visible when watching a Dreamworks movie (preferably a child movie..). Check the smoothness of the letters in the logo "DreamWorks".

Since the flickering issue only occurs with DXVA - it makes sense that Avivo codec does not use DXVA...

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The ATI Avivo Codec does not use DXVA on my system anyway (MPEG2 DVD).
    I can definitely see that the picture quality is worse than with Cyberlink. This is especially visible when watching a Dreamworks movie (preferably a child movie..). Check the smoothness of the letters in the logo "DreamWorks".

Since the flickering issue only occurs with DXVA - it makes sense that Avivo codec does not use DXVA...

I'll have a look at Shrek when I come home tonight then.

My main issue has always been sports(football in particular), I find that Avivo knocks out the competition when it comes to smoothness in horizonal pans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom