Would like a little help about choosing between HVR 1300 or HVR 2200 (1 Viewer)

VortexDK

November 26, 2008
Faxe
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi all

I'm pretty much a newbie in this hope some one can help me with this. I have to buy a tv card now that i'm moving to a new place, with analog cable TV.
from what I have understood from reading here at the forum, the best solution would be a card with Hardware encoder.
as far as I see, the only difference between HVR 1300 and HVR 2200 is that 2200 has two individual tuners.
1 - but what is the benefits with two individual tuners ?
2 - will I need that if I want to wach one channel and record another?
3 - I only have one cable plug in the wall, can I just split this up in some way, and then be able to use both tuners?
4 - I have also read that there have been some support problems with the HVR 2200, can anyone give me a clear awnsver about if this have been fully solved?

so can anyone give m som ehelp about what would be smartest to do in this situation ?

regards Nick

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi VortexDK,

I have tried many different DVB-T cards in the past years, e.g. Nova T-500, Terratec 2400i, Twinhan VP3040, and the card that has worked best is my current HVR-2200. I works well going in/out of standby/hibernate and has never failed on me. I can highly recommend it.

To answer your questions:

1. To be able to view & record from multiple channels at the same time.

2. Yes and no, for DVB-T channels are bundled on multipexers (muxes), e.g. in Sweden (almost) all SVT channels are on the same mux. But TV4 and TV6 are on another mux. If you want to view&record channels that are on the same mux then you only need one tuner, but if you want to view one channel and record another that are not on the same mux then you need multiple tuners.

3. You don't have to split the signal, it is taken care of internally on the TV-card.

4. HVR-2200 is the card I have had the least problems with and I am not aware of any issues. Anything particular you have heard about?

In addition I can also watch HDTV channels (only SVT HD) at the moment with the proper decoder installed in MP.

I would go for the HVR-2200 instead of the HVR-1300 but make sure you have a PCI-Express slot available for HVR-2200, since the HVR-1300 works with the PCI connector.

Good luck!

/Peter

VortexDK

November 26, 2008
    Faxe
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    many thanks for the answers

Hi petsa

thanks for the your reply. the problems I have read about was due to the analog part of the HVR 2200, which is the part that I believe I will have to use. the threads I have read in is:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...t-bugfix-hvr-4000-hvr-2200-analog-part-44807/
    and
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...on-support-53/hvr2200-not-appearing-mp-58299/

but they both seems to be fixed now. in the first one he says that the problem is solved in the new SVN, but what is the SVN ?

regards Nick

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi VortexDK,

I just assumed you wanted a card for digital-TV (DVB-*) since in Sweden we do not have any analog TV broadcasts anymore (except some cable networks). It seems though as in Denmark you will also transition to digital-TV only shortly, see Danmark skifter tv-signal den 1. november 2009 - dr.dk/DigitaltTV.

I have no experience with analog-TV and HVR-2200 so my comments are only for DVB-T.

SVN=SubVersioN=a patch release of MP (weekly I believe) that will contain the latest fixes but is also less stable than the official releases. If you are adventureous you can try them, if you want stability use the official release ;)

Regarding the fix you referred to it seems to be fixed in the latest official release, i.e. MP 1.0.2, so you should be fine. See 0002095: On a fresh install with empty database & multiple analog cards, TV-Service can't start. - MediaPortal Bugtracker

/Peter

VortexDK

November 26, 2008
    Faxe
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Many thanks

Hi Petsa

thaks for your help with this :D and I'm glad the analog problem have been solved. now I'm pretty sure that it is the HVR 2200 That I will buy, since it seems to cover all the things I want.
    from what I have been told by the administration at the dorm I'm moving into, the cable network signal which is send out is analog, but since the 2200 has both, I believe everything should be covered.

again many thanks petsa :D

regards Nick

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    You're welcome. Always nice to be abe to be able to help out :)

As for analog vs digital signal I guess you can always connect a small antenna to your TV-card while at the dorm and receive the FTA (free to air) channels, assuming the signal is strong enough. That should give you better picture quality, but perhaps not all channels you can get on the cable network.

/Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom