XML file instead of registry? (1 Viewer)

Oceanwatcher

Portal Member
April 23, 2007
Goiania, Brazil when I am not travelling because o
Home Country
Norway Norway
I have tried searching the forum, but could not find anything about writing to an XML file instead of writing to registry (could of course be because English is not my first language...)

Is this something thata has been considered? I would love to be able to copy the Media Portal folder onto a USB drive and bring it along with all media files.

I know there are a number of programs and files that MP relies upon, but unless you are independent of registry, there is not even any point in trying to figure out a way to make MP portable.

Also, backing up the whole installation, or moving it over to a new pc would be real easy with a one folder system...

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Err - do you know what you are talking about?

MediaPortal.xml contains most settings.

MP doesn't rely on Registry entries...

Oceanwatcher

Portal Member
    April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Err - do you know what you are talking about?

THAT can always be debated :D

MediaPortal.xml contains most settings.

But not all?

MP doesn't rely on Registry entries...

So what will it be? Does it use registry or not? You say the xml file contains most settings. What about the rest?

The reason I am asking is that when I installed MP, all seemed well, but when I tried to open the config again, I got an error saying it did not have access to some registry settings. I changed the rights on that setting and config is now working ok.

This shows that MP is totally dependent on some registry settings. And my suggestion is to remove those dependensies if possible. Without access to these registry keys, it was impossible to store any settings.....

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Current SVN builds have the path to the installation in HKLM. This is updated when you e.g. start MP - just to make using serveral "copies" of MP easier.

I agree however that it should silently fail if the user does not have permission to access HKLM

Oceanwatcher

Portal Member
    April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Maybe current SVN has changed compared to version 0.2.2.0 stable? This is the one I am using right now.

For the record - I am having a lot of fun with it! Trying to set it up so it works as good as possible for me.

I just ordered a USB TV tuner from MSI. Hope to see this supported in the future since it is the only one I have found that supports most known TV standards. I am travelling a lot and want to bring it with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom