[Configuration] XMLTV Mappings (1 Viewer)

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Started on: 2015-07-03
    last update:

Summary:
    Channels that are not visible in the guide (checkbox unchecked) should not have a channel automatically mapped.

Area:
    XMLTV plugin configuration

Description:
    I have satellite and DVB-T tuners and use XML TV for the DVB-T channels due to MediaPortal not supporting the MHEG-5 EPG.

In this area for many channels we have the same channel appear several times on different frequencies with only 1 of them chosen for the TV Guide. Every time I rescan for a new channel or popup channel and enter the XMLTV configuration, I have to manually blank out "Guide Channel" selections from the drop down box for the dozens of irrelevant channels. This is required as otherwise when using the Search system or select "Upcoming Episodes" in MP, it shows the same program dozens of times for the channels we don't want to see.

Perhaps MP shouldn't include channels that are not selected for the TV Guide, that's another discussion, but the simplist solution for me is if XMLTV plugin ignored the channels that are not in the TV Guide and leave the EPG channel selection blank.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have satellite and DVB-T tuners and use XML TV for the DVB-T channels due to MediaPortal not supporting the MHEG-5 EPG.
    Freeview now broadcast full EIT data via DVB-T, so you don't have to use the XMLTV plugin anymore.

Every time I rescan for a new channel or popup channel and enter the XMLTV configuration, I have to manually blank out "Guide Channel" selections from the drop down box for the dozens of irrelevant channels. This is required as otherwise when using the Search system or select "Upcoming Episodes" in MP, it shows the same program dozens of times for the channels we don't want to see.
    It sounds like your problem is more in the search function (ie. that it searches EPG data for channels that aren't shown in the guide) rather than in the XMLTV plugin. Would you agree?

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It sounds like your problem is more in the search function (ie. that it searches EPG data for channels that aren't shown in the guide) rather than in the XMLTV plugin. Would you agree?

That is what I meant by
    Perhaps MP shouldn't include channels that are not selected for the TV Guide, that's another discussion

But yes I can agree with that. I don't see any reason it should include unwanted channels. In fact, I can think of a situation where it would be dangerous. If say an adult channel was specifically removed from the TV Guide, someone could still access the programs using Search.

It's also an issue when selecting "Upcoming Episodes" which I use more often than a Search.[DOUBLEPOST=1435903253][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Perhaps MP shouldn't include channels that are not selected for the TV Guide, that's another discussion
    However, it doesn't make sense for XMLTV to import 10 times the amount of data it needs to either. It should also not automatically select the channel when not in the guide, and keep the import time down to a reasonable time, and database at much smaller sizes.[DOUBLEPOST=1435903642][/DOUBLEPOST]Regarding the full EIT data, I didn't realize that but there is another reason I use XMLTV which I may need to go into privately, not sure, as it involves Sky HD channels which don't appear to include a 7 day EPG, whereas the SD channels do, so I have to map the SD EPG to the HD channel.

And channels like Prime and multiple TV 1/2 etc, where there seems like a dozen of them, if they are not in the guide, it's waste of time and harddrive space to have XMLTV import the data in the first place.

Last edited:

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MM, curious if have you made any changes in MP regarding the above issue? Best solution is to prevent XMLTV from importing EPG for channels not ticked for the TV Guide.

I'm also not able to get any 8 day EIT EPG data from Freeview DVB-T from MP so I don't think it is being broadcast. I need to continue using EPG Collector and XMLTV for MHEG data.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MM, curious if have you made any changes in MP regarding the above issue?
    No, not in TVE 3 (current release of TV Server). I focus pretty much exclusively on TVE 3.5 now. In TVE 3.5 search results were already restricted to visible channels. The TVE 3.5 XMLTV plugin also only shows the channels that are visible in the guide.

I'm also not able to get any 8 day EIT EPG data from Freeview DVB-T from MP so I don't think it is being broadcast.
    Oh it's definitely being broadcast. If it wasn't then FreeviewPlus-compatible TVs, STBs and recorders wouldn't work. Having said that, there are some caveats. For example, in order to save bandwidth they only broadcast the EPG for the Auckland versions of TVNZ and MediaWorks (TV 3) channels. The data is also compressed.

Ultimately there's probably no harm staying with your current configuration.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sounds good. What version of MP will TV3 3.5 be released with, and any rough idea of when?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom