Xonar HDAV 1.3 (1 Viewer)

JSorrentino

Portal Pro
September 30, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Hi all,
I just ordered this card, as it has all the audio functionality that i need for my home system.

This card also does HDMI pass-through for video and has features for up-sampling via hardware.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this card? Does it upscale well with mediaportal? (ie enhance lower quality video samples, older DVD's etc?)

My graphics card is an nVidia 9800 GTX.

Motherboard is an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (yes it has onboard S/PDIF - but resamples before output).

Processor is a AMD Athalon FX-60. (Dual Core)

4GB Ram.

Another question, I can use Coax or TOSLINK, and don't seem to see a difference what-so-ever between the two, unless I am mis-informed. Any comments?

JS

TheWho

Portal Pro
December 26, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
if you got a Xonar HDAV1.3 you should use the HDMI or the analog part not coax or toslink because there are non to start with and that the information cant get trough.

be sure to check that it is a 09 card so you can get 23.976p playback.

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
May 17, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi,

I recently got one of these cards - people need to be aware that there is a fundamental flaw with these cards. If you have it set up for more than 2 speakers then ALL stereo sources (ie, music) will get upconverted to the number of speakers you have set - ie, if you have a 5.1 setup then stereo sources will get mixed to 5.1 output. This occurs even in 'HiFi' mode which, according to the Manual, should just pass-through the audio 'as-is' without any effect processing, to keep the original audio fidelity.

This problem has been outstanding for AT LEAST 6 months. It is unacceptable that such a 'high-end' soundcard is unable to play a regular stereo source in it's original format. As it stands, I have to get up and change the settings in the control centre between 2 speakers and 5.1 speakers whenever I change media type - not good enough for an HTPC 'solution'.

Asus claims to be 'trying' to solve the issue and to wait for new drivers - there have been driver releases since this problem has been noted but no fix as yet, and I'm not reassured by their use of the word 'trying', especially considering how long it's been outstanding!

The problem has been noted in this thread on the Asus forums. It's also noted in this thread, about the Xonar D2X, so it seems to be a common problem across the Xonar range.

Frankly, I'm livid that I've spent hundreds of dollars (NZ) for a soundcard with such a ridiculous flaw. Every other soundcard I've heard of will allow you to set it up for 5.1 speakers but still allow stereo playback without upmixing the signal - how on earth could they get it so wrong?!?

AIstudio

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2007
    Blackpool
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    be sure to check that it is a 09 card so you can get 23.976p playback

I bought one of these cards in July this year and although it should have been an 09 (thats the start of the serial number) card it was an 08 card.
    Once I installed the drivers (including the splendid driver if you are on analogue). You can go into the information to see the firmware. Mine is at 1.39 so it has already been updated by asus.
    Not sure about other countries but in the UK they should all be updated at there suppliers buy now :)

Regards

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom