XP Pro Local Users and Groups (1 Viewer)

Carty

Portal Member
April 7, 2009
Home Country
Hello everybody,

I'm hoping somebody can assist. I'm quite new to MediaPortal (2 weeks), but I'm loving it.

Unfortunately, I'm finding MP doesn't successfully load for anything less than Administrator. I have 2 accounts, an Administrator and a User Account.

The reason I want a limited account, I intend on letting my kids use this, but would like to prevent accidental deletion of files as they mash keyboard/remote/mouse.

I have altered the Folder Security setting to allow Users to Modify;
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal​
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop​
C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal​

In addition:
Seems to be a SQLite problem, as there are numerous 'CANTOPEN stack' errors, such as;
2009-04-18 20:19:18.031250 [ERROR][MPMain]: picture database exception err:Failed to open database, SQLite said: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Database\PictureDatabase.db3 CANTOPEN stack: at SQLite.NET.SQLiteClient..ctor(String dbName)​

Is it possible to adjust the security/permission level for SQLite or add the User Account to SQLite?

Or am I way off, and something as simple as a Check in the Config

Thanks again

Marvman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Carty,

the user that launch MP, should have the same rights, as the user that can change your files.

For example:

User: "KidzOnly" launch MP but only the User "DadyAdmin" have the rights to change the files. This isn't working
    The only thing you can do is, to give the correct rights to the files showed in the logs.
    You can also use a own User only for MP, so your kidz can't change your files outside of MP.

Or you do an automatic daily backup of your files.

hope it helps.

regards,
    Maritn

Carty

Portal Member
    April 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Thx for the ideas Marvman.

I think I see where you're going with the folder/file permissions. Allow Read/List/Execute ONLY for 'KidzOnly', therefore preventing any accidental deletions. Also, remove the default Administrator Group from folder security and replace it with the actual name of the admin user ie: 'DaddyAdmin'.

No need to over think this at all.

I have daily backups using Synctoy, which is good, because any deletions that are replicated are placed into the recycle bin on the client. A quick visual of the recycle bin for anything over 50MB will show any files I should restore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom