XP Won't Install (1 Viewer)

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Hi all

I am trying to come back to the fold from MythTV (again), basically due to the new version. I had MP installed mid-last year but for some reason I went back to Myth.

I have attempted to install XP on the Myth machine but it will not install. The machine boots, ask me to press a key to boot from CD, I get "Setup is inspecting your.....etc" and the screen goes blank and nothing more happens - ie no light action on the CD drive.

This is really weird as the same CD installed on the same machine last August. I even burnt another one (I slipstreamed XP & SP2 plus some other stuff) and it still does the same thing. But, I chuck in a MythDora DVD and it fires up no problem.

The machine (like I said - same as last time) is a Pentium III 933Mhz, 384Mb Ram, 250Gb IDE drive, 3 TV cards, Soundblaster 5.1 and nVidia FX 5200. It has both a CD drive and a DVD/RW drive installed. The ONLY thing different from the last MP install is the drive size, the 250Gb was installed and replaced the original 40Gb IDE.

Has anyone got any ideas on what the problem could be or what I should look for?

It is too late now to get the machine fully installed and configured for tomorrow night (my wife has programs to record and she would kill me if she missed them!) but I WILL be installing MP when I can figure things out...

Cheers
Bruce

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Turns out it was the 250Gb drive - XP did not like it at all as master. I installed a smaller drive as master and made the 250 the slave. Setup continues past the inspecting bit and starts it's business...

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
Actaully, it wasn't the drive itself. XP did not like the Linux LVM parttions that were formatted with the jfs filesystem. Once I nuked those, everything went back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom