[Finished] Zap by Channel Numbers in TV Guide (1 Viewer)

Anthony Parry

Portal Pro
October 25, 2016
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi all
I may be wrong - but this appears to be something missing - I certainly can't get it to work...

In the (full) TV Guide it's only possible to move between channels by either using up and down arrows for single channel jump, or channel up / channel down to scroll the whole page. It would be really useful if you could also navigate by using channel numbers and also that this feature would work whether channel numbers are showing or not in the EPG itself.

My scenario:

I have around 250 channels in my TV Guide and as far as I know there isn't a very easy / quick way to number all the channels (only being able to edit each channel at a time to set a number) and as channels are provided by different services they have their own numbering system already - numbers are a right mess on my system!

However my channel list is organised into genres with the top of each genre given a distinct number IE
(Entertainment) BBC One 101
lots of random channels and numbers underneath
(News) BBC News 201
more news channels with random numbers
(Music) 4Music 301
more music channels
(Shopping) QVC 401
etc etc

I use a Harmony remote and set the various 'category' numbers as favourites - in MP1 i could push a favourite for say Music and they keys 301 would send to MP1 and the guide would jump to channel 301 4Music and be at the top of the music 'section'. In MP2 nothing happens. Channel zapping only works when watching a TV programme - so scrolling through several pages are required to get to the different channel selections. Also because channel numbering on my guide is a mess, it would be great if the feature could work regardless of whether channel numbers are shown or not!

I appreciate that i could create groups for the different genres - but for ease of use the logical solution seems to be being able to jump around the guide with numbers. this provides an easy way to navigate both for people like me with lots of randomly numbered channels who only then needs to take a small amount of time to number just a select few channels and also someone with a very organised channel number list who might know that BBC4 is on channel 117 or whatever and can jump the guide straight to it.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but for ease of use the logical solution seems to be being able to jump around the guide with numbers. this provides an easy way to navigate both for people like me with lots of randomly numbered channels who only then needs to take a small amount of time to number just a select few channels and also someone with a very organised channel number list who might know that BBC4 is on channel 117 or whatever and can jump the guide straight to it.
    Currently it is not possible. For sure it could be implemented somehow, but even as designer I can see a certain difficulty. Currently there is no linkage between the rows and the channel number, which would be the necessary base. Thats not possible by xaml only, so the model needs an update. Perhaps @morpheus_xx can tell more about it, if it's worth to spend time and if yes, when this time could be spend ;)

Last edited:

Anthony Parry

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2016
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Thanks for your reply.

The problem with knowing nothing about coding is that I have no idea if something is possible and if possible how quick / easy it would be! I shall keep my eye out for any updates :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would be really useful if you could also navigate by using channel numbers and also that this feature would work whether channel numbers are showing or not in the EPG itself.
    With the most recent implementation from @ge2301 it is possible to key in the number of the channel in the respective channel group, e.g. "10" would switch to the tenth channel in the group.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    With the most recent implementation from @ge2301 it is possible to key in the number of the channel in the respective channel group, e.g. "10" would switch to the tenth channel in the group.
    Which change are you referring to? :)
    It should only work for Fullscreen, but not in EPG. Reason is a few posts above.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Which change are you referring to? :)
    It should only work for Fullscreen, but not in EPG.
    That's what I am referring to. We are on the same page.

Keying in numbers in EPG view is not possible and IMHO not very meaningful either since all you need to do is to switchLive TV on any channel and then type in your number.

Does this make sense?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But I now read the first posting a second time and the user wanted to navigate in EPG using numbers.

I was misled by the word "Zap" in title which I associated to Live TV.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Moving in the EPG with channel numbers will be possible in MP 2.2.1. Keying in a number 'n' will display the n'th channel in the group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom