Hardsub video from Media Portal (1 Viewer)

beepmaster

Portal Member
August 20, 2010
Home Country
France France
What is your best solution to make hardsub from TS files ( generated by media portal )
I use Avidemux tool to convert DVB Sub to SRT, and VirtualDub plugin to hardsub the video...
Do you have better solution to do that ?

:D

Cedric.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I don't think this topic has anything to do with Mediaportal 2 Development?

beepmaster

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010
    Home Country
    France France
    Nothing ? TS format is everything for MediaPortal.

MP2 for hearing/deaf people need better solutions for subtitles may be in the core of MP2 Dev.

MP2 use TS format so if MP2 can manage direct output format ( DIVX/XVID/ ... ) with "hardsub" for hearing/deaf people : MP2 will become the best solution for people who need subtitles.

May be nothing for you but everything for hearing/deaf people... :)

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Then I probably misunderstood your question.

beepmaster

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010
    Home Country
    France France
    When you only use Media Portal to record and watch TV with subtitles : no problem
    When you use Media Portal to record and Watch recorded movies with "Subtitles" on other output : DVD / DivX / XVid with "subtitles" : lots and lots of difficulties...
    (I record TV on my computer but watch

Nowadays softwares are not able to manage correctly subtitles for hearing/deaf people :
    You have to check the entiere TS file, repair it if any bit wrong, when it's too damaged : you have to demux, remux it... use an OCR software to export DVB subtitles ( yes : theses subs are in bitmap format... ) then you have to hardsub the SRT with the TS file tu desire output : hardsub, DVD with "subs channel"... lot of manually tasks...

Just imagine when you have to convert 10 or 20 or more movies like that to be watched on your TV with "subtitles" ( that can manage DVD / DivX format) ...

For hearing people / deaf people : a simple button :
    "Export video with hardsub in divx format" would be the best
    And may be usefull too :
    "Export SRT from this TS file to..."
    And the bonus :
    "Export that/these movies/TS file to DVD iso with Subtitles Channels"

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I think we got our wires crossed!! Are you talking about TS files or AVI files? They are 2 completely different things with differernt capabilities.

There are currently 2 ways of displaying subtitles in MP for AVI(xvid/divx/etc).

Method 1. - Subtitle files/steam
    ----------
    Make a subtitle file - Rip out the .SRT subtitle stream from your recorded TV program to a .SRT file. This of course requires the broadcast to have a subtitle stream! Does the deaf/hard of hearing subtitle stream exist in your recorded TV .TS file? If so then its just a matter of ripping out the .SRT file with some program... look up videohelp.com for a subtitle ripper. If you want an AVI to play with subtitles then u need an .SRT file with a matching filename...so like... Superman2.AVI and Superman2.SRT in the same directory..then in MP switch on subtitles..or in the MP config set subtitles to be automatically active. You could also just stick with your .TS file which already shows you those juicy subtitles already..right?

Method 2 - HARDCODEING
    ----------
    You can edit the actual video file itself so that no matter what..the subtitles always appear. Theres no extra files or streams...its litterally planted over the existing video. You cannot switch them off. Ever. This of course also assumes u can get the .SRT file out of the DVB broadcast in the first place. This isnt really anything to do with MediaPortal. Every player will play it the same once its hardcoded. Its not really an MP feature in my opinion as you can always just watch the file in its recorded format as a .TS...where the subtitles already work!!!

On the other hand someone may update the My Burner? plugin (which is built into MP) to allow hardcoding subs to the transcoded Xvid. I dunno if anyone would do this as its quite a bit of work when the fuctionality is already working in .TS format!

Personally id stick with the good quality .TS files.
    However if you want you can make an .SRT or hardcode with a program from videohelp.com.

If you want this built into MP2 (or something)..then getting it working in MP1 might be a good place to start...perhaps you need to make a feature request thread in the MP1 forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom