MediaPortal's EVR Scaling Algorithm (2 Viewers)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Madshi say : "I'm willing to work with any media player developer who's interested in integrating madVR. I'm even willing to add custom interfaces to madVR, if that's necessary.";
    I'm not expert, for know if is best solution or not ! i think is better to switch to DX11 (in few months) and let Olwroost the pleasure for Custom DX ;) ;)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did not say it is not possible...

We have to take into account what the relevant devs are interested in to work on. Remember we all do it for fun. The conclusion of some discussion was that MadVR support will not happen.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As Scythe42 said - madVR is closed source and (as far as I can see) maintained by one person - we can't use something like that as a core component of MP, it's much to risky (we've been caught out before using other outside components when they stop being maintained - it's just happened with Dokan used in MP2, for example, and we keep having issues with Mediainfo).

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yep, when we do not enhance the internal rendering of MP, people will use MadVR as a default. And then the dependency nightmare begins.

Once we have our own stuff enhanced, then we might re-visit supporting MadVR or letting Madshi know what he has to come up with if he wants MadVR supported in MP.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Alright well I hope we see better EVR very soon. :D

Thanks everyone.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you like to play around with video filters you should try MP2 right now. You can find filters like sharpen or blur and the list can be extended easily with more hlsl shaders.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Actually I don't like filters, I like to leave the picture as untouched as possible. Unfortunately, resizing is a necessity so I just want it to be done as well as possible. :)

ed76

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi,
    i am more or less new to mediaportal. i am interested in good picture quality. i use lav copy back and ffdshow. only filter i have set at the moment is unsharp mask. the picture looks much better now. maybe i will try lanczos upscaling the next days. i noticed that sd live tv looks sometimes a little bit strange.
    have i understand correctly: ffdshow postprocessing is not possible with hardware codec (lav copy back) and interlaced material?
    it is possible to use mpc-codec. is it possible to use the shaders for mpc classic (sharpen complex) with mpc codec and mediaportal?
    thanks for answers in advance!

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    hi,
    i am more or less new to mediaportal. i am interested in good picture quality. i use lav copy back and ffdshow. only filter i have set at the moment is unsharp mask. the picture looks much better now. maybe i will try lanczos upscaling the next days. i noticed that sd live tv looks sometimes a little bit strange.
    Well the default upscaling is poor. Since MediaPortal can't dynamically change the screen resolution to let your TV to the upscaling, SD will always kinda crappy unless you're sitting far enough away. I've attached screenshots showing the improvement when going from using MediaPortal as-is to adding ffdshow post-processing (Lanczos3 for luma, Bicubic default for chroma).

have i understand correctly: ffdshow postprocessing is not possible with hardware codec (lav copy back) and interlaced material?
    It might be possible but I can't figure out how to do it. It looks as though ffdshow treats everything as progressive, so when it sends the final post-processed video to EVR it doesn't send the correct interlaced flags. Thus, EVR just assumes the video is progressive and you get combing artefacts due to weaving.

The only way I know of to avoid this is to use CUVID, since the deinterlacing can be done before ffdshow gets a hold of the video. Maybe there's another way.

Attachments

• MediaPortal EVR.png
      MediaPortal EVR.png
      194.6 KB
    • MediaPortal EVR + CUVID + ffdshow Lanczos3-BicubicDefault + RGB32.png
      MediaPortal EVR + CUVID + ffdshow Lanczos3-BicubicDefault + RGB32.png
      302.7 KB
    Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Actually I don't like filters, I like to leave the picture as untouched as possible. Unfortunately, resizing is a necessity so I just want it to be done as well as possible. :)
    In my understanding, resizing is also a filter: you get an input image of [x , y] dimensions (video frame) and need to apply its pixels to [x' , y'] dimension (i.e. full screen). This is task of the pixel shader, where you can implement HLSL routines.

And there are lanczos shaders available: https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/blob/master/Lanczos/Lanczos16.cg.

In my opinion MP2 is way more ready to take use of advanced scaling routines already than MP1 might be able to be in future.

Is there any @Developers interested in coding / integrating such scaling filters? DX and HLSL knowledge is very welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom