Meta data files (1 Viewer)

rkooten

Portal Pro
August 3, 2008
Home Country
I propose that we collect meta data files here. If somebody has taken the noble task upon himself to create such a file I suggest you make your efforts known here. This allows somebody else to concentrate on a different system. It would be a shame if people are wasting their time doing the same things over.

Over time files that are posted here can be gathered in one large file...

Emph... if you are reading this: perhaps you could export a file after you did your magic MAME database synchronization trick? ;)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I don't think you want the entire MAME collection. 7500+ games are unmanagable, and most of them are clones, non-english language versions, and some non-working. It's too large a collection that ends up being 80% useless.

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Wel yes, but we do want a complete database. It's the whole point of the added import/export functionality.

What everybody uses is up to themselves...

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    What are you asking for exactly? There's no point posting my complete Mame metafile database/xml file here since anyone can already generate the exact same thing by following the directions in the thread here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/my-emulators-247/updating-description-year-company-48884/

Posting mine would only be useful to someone running Mame v.128u4. In the last week Mame's already changed to v.128u7 I think. Each version's different so you'd end up with dozens of versions. Isn't it better for each to create their own?

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    What I'm suggesting is that this thread will become a repository for metadata files. The synchronization trick suggested in that thread is a workaround. An xml file is so much more convenient AND makes use of built-ion functionality of myEmulators.

But please forget it. I'll arrange something myself.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Ah ok I think I understand now.

Well, I'm currently trying to get a complete Mame catalog going but need to clean it up so that only some roms are visible rathert han all 7600+. When I get it finished I'll export and upload it here (but the Visible flag isn't included so I'm working on a batch update approach via SQL). I think most people will want that because otherwise the collection is simply unmanagable from MP.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I didn't use MAME, but Final Burn Alpha. And no complete sets, so you'd only get data for the ones I like to have in my HTPC. I mostly did it because I wanted to skin the plugin for StreamedMP. I play my games on my cabinets. :D

Emph

Chreekar

Community Plugin Dev
    November 11, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    A very good idea rkooten! Unfortunately it seems that the objective of the thread has been misunderstood. It is, after all, much easier to download one big file and just import it instead of doing the workaround with different programs and batch files, and this is the reason I added the functionality.

The idea is not to upload games, but to create a database of game meta data for look-up. That means that the database should be as big as possible, since only the data that is about the games the user have on their computer is fetched. Therefore, the visibility field has nothing to do with this.

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Thank you Chreekar. It's a shame that I'm busy working on a skin (streamedMP 4:3 mod) now. Otherwise I could have created and posted an xml to act as an example. I'm glad at least someone understood my suggestion. :p

Perhaps not everybody is aware yet that it is possible to export/import meta data and share it with the community...

Many thanks for all your hard work and the recent wonderful additions! I hope to start a new thread as soon as I have an xml ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom