kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

Awesome skin!!! I did notice the reflections look wrong to me. I feel it is because you are not reflecting the embossed dvd background cover, and the reflection needs to be lower. This is my suggestion.

Original:
    50033d1257944375-monochrome-v3-2-released-filmstrip.jpg

With different reflections:
    4171012961_406b948385_o.jpg

I definitely prefer this screen to the other 2 options you posted.

51293d1260213925t-monochrome-v3-2-released-untitled-3.jpg

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

With different reflections:
    4171012961_406b948385_o.jpg

Figured I'd drop in on the Monochrome forum and learn a few things :D

@ kiwijunglist: Is this a screenshot or have you generated it in Photoshop (or similar)? The reason I ask is that whenever I reflect a cover it reflects from the bottom of it - i.e. there is no option to offset it which results in the cover not being inside the DVD cover, as follows :mad: .... so if you've got an answer to this I'd like to know it :)

Attachments

• reflection.jpg
      reflection.jpg
      107.7 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That was a photoshop. That's annoying that you can't offset the reflection. I didn't notice that psycho reptiles post above, that the bottom of the dvd cover isn't included in the reflection, so i guess that's the trade off for reflecting the dvd cover. However, i think psycho reptiles latest edit looks better with reflecting the dvd cover.

You can add a mask to an image using the skin engine though can't you.
    Ie You can choose only a portion of the image that is visible
    If so, I have an idea however to make your screenshot look better.
    Hide part of the bottom of the movie image underneath the bottom of the dvd cover, this will make the reflection look more real.
    You will loose a small portion of the cover image.
    The actually dvd overlay doesn't need to be reflected within the skin engine, because you can just do this in photshop first as it's not a dynamic image.

Here is example of what i mean, let me know if this is possible.
    Basically you create a mask which only shows the top 96% of the dvd cover.

crop-reflection.png

Let me know if this is possible.

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    new basic home - non sliding?

Hi PR,

yesterday took the plunge and did a complete reinstall of my setup. I was using your 'old' monochrome skin because it is beautiful but also I could use the basic function using a touchscreen.
    The new 3.2 version looks awesome with the sliding menus but is not usable with a touchscreen: clicking on e.g. my videos does not slide open the menu but directly selects the clicked menu.

I have tested the replacement basichome.xml but was wondering if it was possible to have en non-sliding basic home where all the submenus are by default opened vertically. In that way all functionality is available from one screen and the looks and menu structure is the same as the sliding version?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for this great skin.

regards,
    Ruud.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...Basically you create a mask which only shows the top 96% of the dvd cover.

Good idea! Should be easy to do to :) :D

I checked out your post regarding your idea for the cover flow too - looks good but I'll probably just wait for MediaPortal 2 (where I assume it will be implemented) because I don't use the filmstrip view and unfortunately I haven't got a lot of spare time to work on things I won't use on my own system :(

Thanks again for the mask idea - I should've thought of that :oops: :D

RetroZA

Portal Member
    July 1, 2008
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I reinstalled everything on my HTPC this weekend. Clean install of MediaPortal with Monochrome skin (3.2). Only 2 issues.

1. When browsing the movies in icon view, the selected movie doesn't have a border or frame around it. This gets confusing, cause you can't easily see where you are on the screen. It actually works fine when you select the Shares view, but not in Title view.

2. I get the same problem with the TV Series view as well. Also no border or frame around the selected tv series.

Did I miss something with the installation or is this how it's supposed to be? If it's supposed to be like this, can I change the Title view so that it's the same as the Shares view?

Other than this, geat work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom