[Plugin] MPSync - MediaPortal multi-seat Synchronization (3 Viewers)

dyamant

Portal Pro
July 31, 2007
Castrop-Rauxel
Home Country
Germany Germany
I found follow problem.
I have MP running in an multiseat envirement. 2 clients and one server. on the server i have the databases that the server receive from client 1 and transfered to client 2.
My server i wake up every time i start a client. but now comes the problem if the server are not start fast enough the MP Sync crashed on the client.
The program doesnt wait for the start of the server.

I use the 1.4pre version and i think (not realy sure) that the problem before this version not was.

Last edited:

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As I have a similar setup (WHS2011 Server with LightsOut installed) - I use the "restart on resume" option of MP.
    Until MP is restarted, the server is always up (you may also set a delay for the restart). Helpful?

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    I found follow problem.
    I have MP running in an multiseat envirement. 2 clients and one server. on the server i have the databases that the server receive from client 1 and transfered to client 2.
    My server i wake up every time i start a client. but now comes the problem if the server are not start fast enough the MP Sync crashed on the client.

I use the 1.4pre version and i think (not realy sure) that the problem before this version not was.

As I have a similar setup (WHS2011 Server with LightsOut installed) - I use the "restart on resume" option of MP.
    Until MP is restarted, the server is always up (you may also set a delay for the restart). Helpful?

Will have a look into it. Never tested with this scenario ;)

Edit: Sent a version to dyamant to test it out...

Last edited:

scythe000

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2008
    HI!
    So, currently, I have two HTPCs, with their mediaportaldirs.xml file pointing to DBs on my separate win2k8 server. Sadly, I get database corruption pretty frequently. How can I implement this? Looks like i'd copy my databases locally, reset mediaportaldirs.xml to defaults, and need to make changes to my mp-tvseries and movingpictures DBs to point to the new database location. My big issue is that I don't want to have to reimport everything as i have about 5tbs of data.

scythe000, firstly make a copy of all your databases so that you can always revert to them in case of need.

You have to choose one of the HTPCs to act as your master. This will be the PC you mostly use to do your movie/series imports, etc. Copy the databases from your server to this PC. Do the changes in mediaportaldirs.xml so that the database (and thumbs if you want to) point to the local drive. If you are changing the thumbs folder to local as well, then you need to do changes in MediaPortal plugin, TV-Series plugin, etc so that the thumbs paths point to local drives.

For this master HTPC, the setup of MPSync should have the local database folder as the Client DB path and the Server DB path as the current win2k8 database path. The synchronization direction should be from Client -> Server. If you are synchronizing thumbs to a local drive, do same setup on the thumbs tab.

On your second HTPC (slave), you have to change mediaportaldirs.xml with local folders as well. The setup of MPSync should have the local database folder as the Client DB path and the Server DB path as the current win2k8 database path. This time the synchronization direction should be from Server -> Client. You do not need to copy the databases manually as the plugin will take care of this task. If you are synchronizing thumbs to a local drive, do same setup on the thumbs tab.

Start the synchronization on the slave HTPC so that the databases/thumbs are copied over from the server to your local PC. Once this is done, execute synchronization on master HTPC to see that no errors are encountered.

You should be ready to go!
    I'm not sure things are working right. MP crashes every time I exit now.
    Edit:eek:k, i no longer crashes on exit, but no matter what, the slave client will not finish syncronizing.

Last edited:

dyamant

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2007
    Castrop-Rauxel
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I found follow problem.

Will have a look into it. Never tested with this scenario ;)

Edit: Sent a version to dyamant to test it out...

THNX all works fine now.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Today synchronize all database manually, check tomorrow or missing again the ratings on the client ...

m3rcury

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Malta Malta
    Am working on an enhancement to the Thumbs synchronization section to allow other folders/objects to by synchronized. The enhancement would allow you to define a synchronization set where you define your paths, synch direction and which folders you want to synch. The plugin will do the rest for you on the same lines that today it does for thumbs.

Below is a preview of how the new screen containing the synchronization sets would look like.
    Objects.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom