Record In another format other than TS (1 Viewer)

stirlinghart

Portal Pro
July 22, 2011
Hi,

Is it possible to make mediaportal record in another format other than .ts? The ts files are huge. Is there an add on or something I can get?

Thanks in advance ;)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

Is it possible to make mediaportal record in another format other than .ts? The ts files are huge. Is there an add on or something I can get?

Thanks in advance ;)

The file size is depend on the encoding and the bitrate, resolution, etc. It does not related to TS file format.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Is it possible to make mediaportal record in another format other than .ts?
    No.

The ts files are huge.
    You're aware that TS files aren't inherently large, right?
    TS (MPEG 2 transport stream) is just a "container format", like MKV, MP4, WTV, ISO, etc.

The size of recordings is determined by:
    • the length of the content (eg. 2 hours)
    • the bit-rate of the content (eg. 10 Mb/s video, 100 kb/s audio)
    • the number of video and audio streams
    Size has almost nothing to do with the container. In other words, an MKV, MP4 or WTV containing the same content will be roughly the same size as a TS file.

If you want smaller files then you'll have to re-encode the content. Re-encoding will require significant processing power and time. It's also a trade-off between file size and subjective video and audio quality. Smaller files will mean more processing (ie. longer conversion time) and usually some quality loss.

Is there an add on or something I can get?
    If your CPU/GPU are powerful enough to re-encode, then you could try MCEBuddy or similar.

Regards,
    mm

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    There was some time ago an option to record in MPEG, if I remember correctly it caused more trouble than benefit. It was shortly removed, which is good, TV Server should always record in TS :). Transcoding, encoding, converting… are jobs for different apps and not for TV Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player app does not support the file type. So I installed VLC. VLC does read the ts files but the TV's remote does not allow to control basic VLC functions like FF or FR or pause etc... Tried 1-2 other apps, even...
    Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player...
    Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player...
    Replies
    Views
    Good. I am pleased that that is now working for you. :) If you have ever looked at MP debug log files, you may have noticed that apparent errors are not rare, but these are "errors" that do not affect the functioning of the product. (It is not desirable to have these errors in the log file, as it misleads users, testers, and...
    Good. I am pleased that that is now working for you. :) If you have ever looked at MP debug log files, you may have noticed that...
    Hi, I am reinstalling MediaPortal 1.13 on a new W10 64Bit computer. In need to use this old version because of TVWishlist. So my...
    Replies
    Views
    OK, I found a way to make it work. It seems like MP-TV-series Configuration (and Moving Pictures Configuration) starts as Administrator, and the Administrator do not have yet logged in on the UNC \\192.168.222.247\Public even if the normal user on the PC have done it. So to fix it on the Win 11 HTPC: Created a shortcut to...
    OK, I found a way to make it work. It seems like MP-TV-series Configuration (and Moving Pictures Configuration) starts as...
    Hi! I was running MP1.33 x64 and I was fine and happy since many years, then the hard drive on the HTPC died. But I was able to...
    Replies
    Views
    Yes. I've just this minute found the cause of the problem; though I haven't found the exact line of configuration that caused it. I am using a centrally configured system, meaning that some configuration files are stored centrally and are not overridden when installing new versions. It would seem that 1.31 had a change in...
    Yes. I've just this minute found the cause of the problem; though I haven't found the exact line of configuration that caused it...
    Since I installed 1.31 .wtv files display in the top left-hand quadrant of the screen instead of the whole screen. Is this a known...
    Replies
    Views
    Thanks again for all the help. I deleted 'BDHandler.dll" from the process folder, and as expected, it no longer appears in the MePo configuration utility. I also downloaded the X86 BDReader plugin that you posted. Renamed the existing files in the MePo folder, and copied the updated files to the MePo folder. For the most part...
    Thanks again for all the help. I deleted 'BDHandler.dll" from the process folder, and as expected, it no longer appears in the...
    I'm not sure that this works on 32-bit, but if I try to play a 4K UHD Blu-ray (Using makeMKV, modified firmware, and AnyDVD HD) the...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom